My recent Project... I built it myself!!

Sponsored Links
i still dont see the point of having a socket controlled by a relay, which is controlled by a plug

breezer said:
its a total waste.

why not do away with it all and just plug in what ever you are going to plug in, much easier.

I cant do that - I have blown 2 timers plugged directly into the wall - it's not gonna work & i was recommended these parts by a electrician, then i just used a guide to wire them up.

He explained on power up that there's so much power which results in a burnt out timer, so using a contactor stops this from happening.

im no expert im just saying actually what he told me.

as i said, the wiring connections are right, (i am not going to say any more about cord grips and earths) but i dont see it solving any problem at all, if you have lost 2 timers already, from what we have seen of your previous efforts i would say its to do with the wiring

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
as i said, the wiring connections are right, (i am not going to say any more about cord grips and earths) but i dont see it solving any problem at all, if you have lost 2 timers already, from what we have seen of your previous efforts i would say its to do with the wiring

ok cool - yeah i am a newb, but i didnt wire those timers or lights - i am on about a pre wired 600w HPS with ballast & a Crown electronic timer. (from argos)

Lights like these burn timers out all the time - i see it alot on forums.
it works fine with my 250w light, but not with my 600watter... thats why i was suggested to get a contactor.

-

Just 1 question about earth... it will still work without it right? - but its not "safe practise"? ... thanks for all your input! :D

The question is not whether the light needs an earth or not - if it does it does, and you must provide one.

If it does not need an earth, then connecting one could make it more dangerous, but you must still have an earth present at the trailing socket.

Dave9, i agree with ban, but for the future, please give all the info in the first place, it would help.

if you follow bans suggestions and wire it as you have it ill work, but DO follow bans suggestions, as we have said before, with no earth it is lethal

ok thanks for helping guys - appreciated :)

ok that makes sense ban, from the 600w ballast runs 3 wires (earth, live & neutral) the blue & brown wire goes straight into the E40 fitting & then earth is just attached to the E40 back plate holder.

I'm kinda confused about this... does that mean i dont need a earth on my contactor cause the light already has one OR do i attach a earth to the contactor anyways because my light has one ?

Sry

The contactor doesn't need an earth, as it is separated from the lighting power circuit - that's the whole point of it....

As for the earth for the light:
ban-all-sheds said:
3-core flex from the bottom plug into the choc-block.

3-core flex from the choc-block to the trailing socket.

3-core flex from the light to its plug, and at the light connect the cpc to the earth terminal that the light must have if it needs an earth.

ban-all-sheds said:
but you must still have an earth present at the trailing socket.

Please correct me if I am wrong... Couldn't I just add earth wires from the 2 plugs & the female plug leading to one metal plate?

ps: i know this may sound a really silly Q... but the color's of wires are just for illustration purposes yeh? - meaning i could use a brown or blue wire for earth?

ban-all-sheds said:
The contactor doesn't need an earth, as it is separated from the lighting power circuit - that's the whole point of it....

As for the earth for the light:
ban-all-sheds said:
3-core flex from the bottom plug into the choc-block.

3-core flex from the choc-block to the trailing socket.

3-core flex from the light to its plug, and at the light connect the cpc to the earth terminal that the light must have if it needs an earth.

ok thanks - that makes perfect sense to me now!
i will earth them but i have no yellow earth cable... i am assuming the blue/brown wires are the same as earth just different color's for illustration purposes?... I woulda thought that was correct - as a wire is a wire & it doesnt matter what color they are. (in theory)

can i use a blue or brown wire for the earth?

Dave9 said:
Please correct me if I am wrong... Couldn't I just add earth wires from the 2 plugs & the female plug leading to one metal plate?
You could, but what would be the point?

Female plug?

ps: i know this may sound a really silly Q... but the color's of wires are just for illustration purposes yeh? - meaning i could use a brown or blue wire for earth?
No - the colours of wires ar not just for illustration purposes, and no you must not use anything other than g/y for earth.

Which reminds me - another comment on your original design - the blue cores being used as switched live should be sleeved brown...

Dave9 said:
i will earth them but i have no yellow earth cable...
FFS.

Twice now I have written this - how hard is it for you to understand:

USE 3-CORE FLEX

dam i always thought electricity would pass through any wire's - i thought the color's were only there to "make it easier" ...

so your telling me... the blue/brown/yellow wires are all unique? or are they the same wire material but with different colors?

I give up.

This is the second time you've come here, asking questions, and then arguing with/ignoring the answers.

Do what you like - I'm off to bed, and I will never answer any more questions from you.

Goodbye.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back