My recent Project... I built it myself!!

Sponsored Links
Spark123 said:
Or even better, forget the relay and buy a contactor ;)

:D yeh it makes sense i suppose, i can get a pre-built one for about £25 + £5 postage which has a 4 gang socket so i could use that for my heater aswell...

21_1_bg.JPG

i woulda liked to make it myself cause i enjoy doing stuff like this, but i'll leave this one go cause i have bought the wrong parts.

however i still have a few more projects up my sleeve.... hehe :LOL:

Thanks for the advice guys, appreciated & merry xmas.

Lectrician said:
Or a timer suitable for the job....

Where can i find heavy load timers? got a link plz?
couldnt find any in TLC & most of the one's on ebay dont mention nothing about heavy load... i assume i need to buy this timer from a special place

:)

Sponsored Links
havent read through but, why dont you just buy the plug in timers that can switch 13 amps, the type you get from hardware/b+q stores which are about a tenner for three?

i know a fair few people who operate fans/lights/heaters this way and have been growing for years, and it must work because they all do it! and its cheep! and your hard pushed to kill yourself or anyone else this way....

He is trying to switch a 600w sodium light, iirc these timers don't like switching the heavily inductive loading.

Dave9 said:
however i still have a few more projects up my sleeve.... hehe :LOL:

Thanks for the advice guys, appreciated & merry xmas.
I said I wouldn't do this, but on the minuscule chance that something might sink into your THICK HEAD I'll give it a try.

YOU ARE SO STUPID AND SO IGNORANT THAT YOU SHOULD NEVER CONTEMPLATE ANY MORE OF YOUR INSANE "PROJECTS".

Do you really think that time after time, person after person tells you that you've got it hopelessly wrong because we all thrive off the weaknesses of others, or because we all enjoy putting you down?

Do you not think it might just be possible that you really are stupid and ignorant and dangerous?

I'm actually 99.99% convinced that all your stuff is a wind-up - I don't know to what end - I guess you're ill in some way.

But just to cover the 1 in 10,000 chance that someone could actually buy, fiddle with, wire up and photograph a relay clearly marked 12V and not spot that anything was wrong, I'll play along with you for one more post, and tell you that I have never encountered anybody so unsuited to doing anything with electricity as you.

And this really is the last time I'll respond to you, you cretin.

BAS said:
YOU ARE SO STUPID AND SO IGNORANT THAT YOU SHOULD NEVER CONTEMPLATE ANY MORE OF YOUR INSANE "PROJECTS"

They are not my insane idea's, they are from websites that give you instruction's / project's - I do not just "come up" with these idea's like you think I do.

I haven't even tested this yet & don't plan to either until i know for sure that it's safe.
Thanks to sparky he spotted one of my mistakes & corrected me like a normal person would do & thats the sort of help i expect from people, not you though, oh no... YOU ban-all-sheds are silly & ignorant - you have no patience at all, i listened to what you said & acknowledged the info you provided me - thanks - however you still act abusive to me.....

Ok I admit I was silly with the fluro's tube's before, I did just try & wire them up & hope they would work & my wiring/circuit was appalling, but I regret doing that as I would like to learn on how to do it safe & properly... this is why I didn't even attempt to try my "circuit" out until I seeked professional help first...
god, i don't know why you are so aggressive to me ban, i done exactly what you said & i listened to the advice that you gave me... but still your ranting on about whatever you have against me.

BAS said:
Do you really think that time after time, person after person tells you that you've got it hopelessly wrong because we all thrive off the weaknesses of others, or because we all enjoy putting you down?

well I know alot of people who thrive off people's weaknesses in order to satisfy their own ego... now that's ignorant... & there are many, many of them in this world.

However people on the other hand, the one's that actually get pleasure from helping people are the nice people - they help because they feel its the right thing to do & they do not put people down when they are wrong... instead they correct that person.

BAS said:
Do you not think it might just be possible that you really are stupid and ignorant and dangerous?

Sorry you messed up the grammar, let me correct it for you or would you like me to bite your head off!!!!!?

Do you not think it might just be possible that you really are stupid[comma here] ignorant and dangerous?

BAS said:
I'm actually 99.99% convinced that all your stuff is a wind-up - I don't know to what end - I guess you're ill in some way.

a wind up? ... get real ... do you honestly think I spent all this time posting these messages for fun? ... My intention was to get help & advice from those who are knowledgeable electrician's & hopefully help me finish what I came here to do.

just because I ordered the wrong part & lack electrician knowledge... that make's me a ill person? ...

BAS said:
But just to cover the 1 in 10,000 chance that someone could actually buy, fiddle with, wire up and photograph a relay clearly marked 12V and not spot that anything was wrong, I'll play along with you for one more post, and tell you that I have never encountered anybody so unsuited to doing anything with electricity as you.

I gotta agree, it was a silly mistake, but at least someone spotted it & corrected it... The main reason why forums like these exist.... You act like humans never make mistake's, i'm sure you have when you first started doing something you didnt have a clue about... or were you born a electrician ?

anyways it doesn't matter, just forgot about it. . . . . . . . . :arrow:
& thanks for help.

PS: BAN-ALL-SHEDS... Would you call me stupid now if I told that I am about to get into depth about electricity & i am not going to practise electricity again until I have some knowledge on the subject?

2_Practical Electronics - August 2003.pdf
Electronic Circuits for the Evil Genius.pdf
Engineering - Teach Yourself Electricity And Electronics.pdf
McGraw.Hill.Handbook.of.Electrical.Design.Details.2nd.Edition.pdf
Pragmatic_Introduction_to_Electronic_Engineering_v1.0.pdf
Schaum's Outline - Theory and Problems of Electronic Devices and Circuits, 2nd Edition.pdf
Structure and Interpretation of Signals and Systems.pdf
The Circuit Designers Companion.pdf
The Electrical Engineering Handbook.pdf
The Scientist and Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing.pdf
[Newnes] Op.Amp.Applications.Handbook (2005).pdf

I guess il see you soon...lol

Dave9 said:
dam i always thought electricity would pass through any wire's - i thought the color's were only there to "make it easier" ...

so your telling me... the blue/brown/yellow wires are all unique? or are they the same wire material but with different colors?
My tuppen'orth is that you have a f***ing nerve being sarcastic to some of the most knowledgable and helpful people on the forum.

If you're not being sarcastic, then you have a real problem with the way you write words, because you're not accepting, in a sufficiently gracious and civil manner, the advice being given to you.

Softus said:
My tuppen'orth is that you have a f***ing nerve being sarcastic to some of the most knowledgable and helpful people on the forum.

If you're not being sarcastic, then you have a real problem with the way you write words, because you're not accepting, in a sufficiently gracious and civil manner, the advice being given to you.

Only because I never got a straight answer... I asked if the wire's were unique because I thought that the copper was somewhat different in the live/neutral & earth... Instead of telling me "Yes, the wire's are all the same, but the color's are different because it's easier for identifcation"... <--- thats all I wanted to know... I did not wish to act arrogant, i replied like that because i wanted to know the truth & not a lecture.

Thanks.

& yes i do suffer with my grammar sometimes, i have done all my life & im not the horrible cu*T you make me out to be... i find it difficult to express myself with words sometimes, sorry.

OK Dave9, I have an opportunity to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Firstly, I have no wish to humiliate you if you have a genuine difficulty with writing - if that's the case then it's brave of you to post on this forum.

Secondly, you appeared to be sarcastic, but it seems that you didn't mean to be, and you've apologised, which has to be respected.

However, the way you're approaching the use of electricity has to be a cause for concern. You seem to have a desire to learn, which is good, but you're going about it the wrong way, and trying to gain knowledge in the wrong place. The best thing that you could do is to enrol on a course of further education, and thereby gain some formal training in both the principles underlying electrical circuits and the safety aspects of working with them.

Having a low income doesn't make you ineligible for such further education, so I recommend that you look into ways of doing this.

Does this help? Can you see yourself attending a formal course to teach you more about the subject?

thanks for the kind words.
yeah I want to learn electricity but I cannot do it full time as im learning something else (dreamweaver) -
however I would like to read book's or attend some evening classes, I just want to be at a point where I can do basic diy electricity practise... like wire up circuits, understand circuits & basically stuff like that.

in the last year I manged to fit lights & ceiling fans in my house, changed a few switches, i wired a thermostat to a tube heater, i've also chipped a ps2 successfully, but all of them were pretty straight forward as i had instructions... I could probably do anything if i copied others people work, i just couldn't work it out by myself though.

Could you please recommend a book for me to read? ... & will this book teach me the basic's of electricity & a good understanding of circuits...

Just a thought & dont meen to be rude here.... but if I read the books you recommend me then will i have the ability to wire the stuff I have been doing lately? ... like know which parts to buy & know how to wire them & build a circuit?

or am i wasting my time & should I forgot about the books & just forgot about doing electricity for the rest of my life... like i said i dont know which way to turn & whatever you recommend me to do i will listen.

thank you & have a great xmas. :)

dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back