My Roof is Leaking-Roofbond foam spray Traditional Re-roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right,

I have a wet patch on the ceiling in one of the rooms, as well as a patch on the outside wall in that room, with some water dribbled down. Quite a big wet patch on the ceiling that looks like a shadow, but the plaster hasn't sagged or anything (yet). There is a thin layer of loft insulation above the plaster.

I moved into this Victorian mid terrace a few years ago and had a company called "Everlast" out to do some jobs on the roof - gutter, repointing ridge tiles, replacing tiles where necessary. In my opinion, they are a cowboy company; did a shoddy job. Charged over £700 and didn't seem to do a lot. This was over 2 and a half years ago.

I have since had other roofers look at it (I was after quotes as I was planning to move house at one stage). Nobody ever quoted anything more than £300 just to replace some tiles, etc.

The general view seemed to be that the roof is old but in decent condition for what it is - just needs some little bits doing.

But now I have this wet ceiling and wall. I got a guy to come out and look a few weeks ago and he quoted £300 odd to replace tiles. No doubt having roofers up there has made matters worse as they climb all over the thing.

Is this really the solution I need? Just endlessly replacing tiles here and there!?

I've been looking at roofbond. www.roofbond.biz

They spray a bonded chemical on the inside of the roof that (allegedly) bonds the roof together into a stronger roof that doesn't leak. This would cost approximately £1600

Having the house re-roofed would cost god knows how much - £4000?

I keep seeing people on these forums dissing the roofbond solution. I just want to be sure that this isn't the traditional roofing lobby slagging off a competing technology...? One of the criticisms is that it traps moisture which rots the wood in the roof - but roofbond say they install soffit vents. Also, it is said that the roof will be harder to fix later - but roofbond give a 30 year guarantee (and have been around for 40 years.)

Any thoughts?

Has anybody used roofbond?

Sponsored Links
Pics of what? The actual dampness?

I don't but let me describe, to the rear of the house there is a room with a large "shadow" on the ceiling - when you touch this slightly darker area of plaster it is wet. Then, on the wall to that room there is a wet patch near to the ceiling and some dribbles of water running down from it.

The outside of the roof is currently covered in snow so there isn't any point me takint pictures of it right now.

Previous roof quotes (done in spring) said that the roof was basically sound with dry batons, but did say nail fatigue could be become a problem over time.

I keep seeing people on these forums dissing the roofbond solution. I just want to be sure that this isn't the traditional roofing lobby slagging off a competing technology...?
I have done roofing for years, the best and correct way is new tiles or save the good tiles plus if you can get a replacement tiles with roofing felts if money is tight otherwise it will cost you more than £4000 to remove the spray foam and repairing the rotted rafters.
One of the criticisms is that it traps moisture which rots the wood in the roof - but roofbond say they install soffit vents.
What the point of soffit vents if the moisture or leaking rain is on top of the rafters, the soffit vents won't dry it out but roof do need soffit vents anyway
Also, it is said that the roof will be harder to fix later - but roofbond give a 30 year guarantee (and have been around for 40 years.)
Most guarantee's are not worth the paper it's written on, how many times have you heard the companies changed name after going bankrupt?

Best to find out where the leak is coming from and make sure you know where it's leaking from.

Sponsored Links
Victorian mid terrace? I guess its slate, no felt and 2x1 battons.
If its leaking then roof bond wil not seal it as its foam (spongelike after time). Consider having it stripped, new membrane, new battons and use mostly existing tiles. Couple of £000 well spent.

hi i repair many roofs like this just a calculated guess without seeing this is that condensation is running down the underside of the tile this becomes present mainly in the winter time due to xtra heating lowering the dew point the condensation is dripping or running to the inner wall fit slate vents a roofer would charge probably £200 then de humidify and then add extra insulation steve the lancastrian

iv had Roofbond from Blackpool, 6 months ago completed the whole roof on a large 1920s property they sounded brilliant £7000 and no leaks for 30 years. OMG can i get them back to fix 3 x leaks. please if anyone is thinking of going with them, please ring me first on xxxxxxx my name is ray i live in Anglesey N-Wales.

Let me get this right you gave them £7000 to spray foam your roof and now it leaks

yes they did some slate work first to make sure the whole roof was safe to foam, there first price was £ 15,000 something the roof is really big 4 sides to it, going to visit them soon give them a little surprise

if you can fit me a new roof for that the jobs yours,ill even double your money, i have a small annex at the back that roof cost me just over £4,500 about 3000 slates i thought that was a good price. i couldn't even get the slates for that.

Hi John,
A word of warning from personal experience. i used a the same product under a different brand name 'Foamseal' on my house in France. the tiles are half inch terracotta about 150 years old. I treated a quarter of the roof with spray foam thinking this would insulate and waterproof as the product promises, however! you might as well slap concreate on the back of your tiles. the section treated is now completely crumbled and cracked. The foam hardens on the tile not allowing it to expand and shrink with temperature changes. not only do I have a major problem with fungle growth and damp from condensation I am facing a 40,000 Euro bill to replace my tiles with modern versions. the section not treated will last another 150 years. this product is not fit for the job. best of luck. PM

Right,

I have a wet patch on the ceiling in one of the rooms, as well as a patch on the outside wall in that room, with some water dribbled down. Quite a big wet patch on the ceiling that looks like a shadow, but the plaster hasn't sagged or anything (yet). There is a thin layer of loft insulation above the plaster.

I moved into this Victorian mid terrace a few years ago and had a company called "Everlast" out to do some jobs on the roof - gutter, repointing ridge tiles, replacing tiles where necessary. In my opinion, they are a cowboy company; did a shoddy job. Charged over £700 and didn't seem to do a lot. This was over 2 and a half years ago.

I have since had other roofers look at it (I was after quotes as I was planning to move house at one stage). Nobody ever quoted anything more than £300 just to replace some tiles, etc.

The general view seemed to be that the roof is old but in decent condition for what it is - just needs some little bits doing.

But now I have this wet ceiling and wall. I got a guy to come out and look a few weeks ago and he quoted £300 odd to replace tiles. No doubt having roofers up there has made matters worse as they climb all over the thing.

Is this really the solution I need? Just endlessly replacing tiles here and there!?

They spray a bonded chemical on the inside of the roof that (allegedly) bonds the roof together into a stronger roof that doesn't leak. This would cost approximately £1600

I keep seeing people on these forums dissing the roofbond solution. I just want to be sure that this isn't the traditional roofing lobby slagging off a competing technology...? One of the criticisms is that it traps moisture which rots the wood in the roof - but roofbond say they install soffit vents. Also, it is said that the roof will be harder to fix later - but roofbond give a 30 year guarantee (and have been around for 40 years.)

Any thoughts?

Hi John,
A word of warning from personal experience. i used a the same product under a different brand name 'Foamseal' on my house in France. the tiles are half inch terracotta about 150 years old. I treated a quarter of the roof with spray foam thinking this would insulate and waterproof as the product promises, however! you might as well slap concreate on the back of your tiles. the section treated is now completely crumbled and cracked. The foam hardens on the tile not allowing it to expand and shrink with temperature changes. not only do I have a major problem with fungle growth and damp from condensation I am facing a 40,000 Euro bill to replace my tiles with modern versions. the section not treated will last another 150 years. this product is not fit for the job. best of luck. PM

Right,

Any thoughts?

I have used roofbond within the last year, that was my biggest mistake they do give you 30 years GUARANTY BUT you'll never see them again, i have no problem with the foam not yet anyway, roofbond fixed some slates on my roof first and never took the old, like lime stuff off the back of the slates hence some of my slates falling off the roof because the foam couldn't bond properly, whatever you decide im not a roofer just a home owner trying to get bye, don't get riped off like me, do the foam or don't do it just stay away from roofbond blackpool

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back