Myson CP63 Pump Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 10 year old Myson CP63 pump fitted to my 14 rad central heating system which is set to speed setting number 3.
I tried to turn it down to number 1 or 2 but I don't think that these 2 speeds are working because I can not hear it running at all.
Do I need to buy a new pump and is so does it have to be the same make or can I put another equivelent one on without having to change any fittings?

Sponsored Links
10 years out of a myson pump. call guinness book of records.

any domestic pump will fit in the valves you have. most likely you will need new pump nuts as you will probably have to cut the old ones off, mysons are awful for rusting themselves on. i rarely bother and prefer to bung the system and change the pump valves and pump in a oner.

Did they last any longer when they were painted blue and marked Celsia?

Clearly British Gas thought they were the best pump on the market to supply to their customers to give them many years of trouble free pumping!

If you get the same type ( now Circulating Pumps ) then you can change only the head.

Tony

Did they last any longer when they were painted blue and marked Celsia?

Tony

nope.

Clearly British Gas thought they were the best pump on the market to supply to their customers to give them many years of trouble free pumping!

BG probably didnt think they were the best pump on the market. but as they use something like 4 pallets of pumps a day i guess they wanted something a little more cost effective. backfired on them anyway.

Sponsored Links
Wrong again Agile with no clue how BG work .
When they decided to have a branded pump they tested the wilo/ myson and grundfoss .
Grundfoss came out best but would not drop the £19 per unit cost wilo came out better than the myson(£14.50) but they didn`t go with it because it was perceived to be inferior so they went for the better known make ie myson which proved a disater and eventually went with the engineers choice of grundfoss and saved themselves a fortune in call backs.

Oh and they never branded the cp63 the myson it was a twin headed pump ie 15/50 and 15/60 built into one

Thanks
Sounds like Myson are not very good then!

I turned on the central heating and watched the impeller spin on setting 3 and it took a while to start spinning and I could easily stop it with my fingers so I guess that not very good!!

I won't change it like for like if they are that bad, what pump can anyone reccomend that would fit straight on to the existing fittings that would be suitable for my 14 rad system?

Grundfoss 15/60 cost around 70 quid but far quieter and better than any of the cheaper ones and worth that bit extra

If your Myson pump is totally free to spin but does not fulfil the finger test ( see FAQ ) then its most likely the capacitor has lost much of its value of about 2.6 µF.

These can usually be changed with one from a seized up pump if you had or found an old one!

I would normally replace it with a Myson, if I had to change it, so that I could just change the head and avoid problems with getting the old pump off.

Tony

Theres no point in just changing the head as the speed setting control also does not work in 1 & 2.

I have now purchased a Grundfos Alpha 2L 15-60

I hope that it will be suitable? :?:

Theres no point in just changing the head as the speed setting control also does not work in 1 & 2.

I have now purchased a Grundfos Alpha 2L 15-60

I hope that it will be suitable? :?:

The speed switch is on the head so a replacement pump head would also replace the switch!

The Alpha should work well and save a little electricity. You will have to play about a bit to get the best settings.

Its really over kill unless you have TRVs on your rads. Any bypass will need adjusting.

Tony

10 out of my 14 rads have trvs on.
I think the Grundfos Alpha 2L has automatic settings so there should not be a need to keep making adjustments (I hope).

There was somebody on here a couple of weeks ago who gave a lot of details about his experiences in setting his to the best settings.

You should find it by searching on Alpha and looking at the last few posts as the thread started on something else.

Tony

Just read something about Grundfos pumps blowing the PCB in the boiler?
Now i am getting worried.

The Myson was installed at the same time as the Potterton boiler when the house was built 10 years ago.
Was the Myson pump the only one that was compatible with my boiler or should it not make any difference to what pump I use?

You have never told us your boiler model!

However, if its an external pump that the Alpha is fine.

Any pump can blow a boiler PCB but Grunfos seem to have more electrical failures than other makes.

Different pump models have different common problems. They Myson is usually the capacitor failing slowly, the Grunfos is usually an electrical failure and the Wilo are usually a worn bearing. The long shaft Wilo which was badged Samalson or other names also suffer from capacitor failures.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back