namsag or any other help please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
re myson apollo 30/50s boiler fan problem.

I have tested the fan wires(the two purple wires connected to fan) again with a multi meter.

If I disconnect wires from fan and connect to meter individualy ie +prong on fan wire and negative prong to earth I have 240volts on one wire and near zero on the other.

If I connect meter in situ with the wires connected to the fan and test each wire individualy to earth, then I have 240volts from each wire.

If I test in situ with the wires connected to the fan with one prong of meter on each wire, then it reads zero volts.

Does this sound right and which is the correct method to test these wires?
Any help greatly received.
Thanks in advance.
Dave

Sponsored Links
If I understand your tests, it sounds like the neutral is not connected.
Test voltage between the wires when not connected to the fan.
Turn off all power and do a continuity test on the wires

I have tested the fan wires(the two purple wires connected to fan) again with a multi meter.

If I disconnect wires from fan and connect to meter individualy ie +prong on fan wire and negative prong to earth I have 240volts on one wire and near zero on the other.

If I connect meter in situ with the wires connected to the fan and test each wire individualy to earth, then I have 240volts from each wire.

If I test in situ with the wires connected to the fan with one prong of meter on each wire, then it reads zero volts.

Does this sound right and which is the correct method to test these wires?
Any help greatly received.
Thanks in advance.
Dave

its the fan board.

Thanks for your replies.

You're probably right nickso, but I need to be 100% sure before I go spending.

I have tested between the two wires as you ask grahamderek and I'm getting around 10volts.

Sponsored Links
It would have been better to have continued your original topic ;)

There are 3 possible measurements:
1. Voltage on each wire - with the fan connected
2. Voltage at each fan terminal - with the fan disconnected
3. Voltage at the fan timer terminal - with the fan disconnected

Is this Test 1?

If so, you will get ) volts between the wires as they both are at 240v

Test 2 should give 0 volts as the fan is not connected to anything.

Is this Test 3?
If I disconnect wires from fan and connect to meter individually ie +prong on fan wire and negative prong to earth I have 240volts on one wire and near zero on the other.
Not sure is you are measuring at the fan or at the timer/pcb?

sorry, test 3 is measured from disconnecting the two wires from/at the fan and then testing these two wires indivdualy to earth at the fan end. One wire reads 240volts and the other is near zero.
hope this makes sense.
test 1 =240volts
test2=0volts
test 3=240volts on one wire and near zero on other wire.
test not been carried out(at fan timer terminal)

I cannot get my head around this.
Surely if there is 240volts getting to the fan it should spin.
Or am I missing the point somewhere???

going round in circles here.

from what you are saying you have a potential difference of 0v across the fan connections with both of them connected to the fan....the fan cant work with that. it needs a potential difference of 240v.

you have a neutral fault, most likely at the fan board. if you are not confident that you can trace that neutral fault then you have to to trust me and buy a fan board or get someone in who can trace a neutral fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back