Need a new boiler asap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We just got our boiler serviced today and he said that the burner is cracked and the metal plate is stained. I did take a look but couldn't see a crack in the burner, but the metal plate is stained - is that a cause for concern? He said it is unsafe and has switched off our boiler and the gas mains, so we are left with no heating! I have no idea if what he is saying is right or not.

He said we can get a new Alpha Combi Boiler installed tomorrow for £2600. Is that a good price?

I could get someone else out to look at it, but I imagine for an emergency call out it will cost quite a bit.

Our old boiler is 30 yrs old so we were looking to replace it and I did mention that to him, so I just wonder if he's jumped in there and made this up. I think I watch too many scamming programs and don't trust anyone!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
He said we can get a new Alpha Combi Boiler installed tomorrow for £2600. Is that a good price and how do I know if we're being scammed?

I could get someone else out to look at it, but I imagine for an emergency call out it will cost quite a bit.

Thanks

Scams like this are very rare. You did not say the name of the firm involved.

Perhaps the boiler is faulty and possibly dangerous. A visit from another engineer should only be about £50-£84 to confirm its condition.

I could probably fly to Aberdeen and fit you a new boiler for less than £2000!

Whatever the situation I am sure that you could get a much cheaper price to install a new boiler!

Please do not get taken advantage of! Are you elderly or look as if you could be scammed? Ask for other quotes to replace!

To all others this situation is VERY rare indeed. The boiler might well be unsafe, we dont know. It is not unreasonable to ask for a LITTLE extra do do a job at short notice.

Tony

If your that worried then get another RGI to inspect your boiler.

An inspection fee for your peace of mind shouldn't break the bank.

Edit.

Have you got a boiler and hot water cylinder? If you do and require a replacement boiler then you wouldn't need a combi, a direct swap would use a heat only boiler and should be cheaper.

Thanks guys, maybe 'scam' is not the right word, probably 'taken advantage of' would be better, as the company seem reputable.

I'm a young female and have a new baby, so not sure if I'm more of a target, as obviously the baby is a major factor in this as we want to do everything possible to keep our home safe for her.

I'll try get someone out and get a second opinion..I'll keep you posted!

Is Alpha a good make? I haven't heard anything of them.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, maybe 'scam' is not the right word, probably 'taken advantage of' would be better, as the company seem reputable.

I'm a young female and have a new baby, so not sure if I'm more of a target, as obviously the baby is a major factor in this as we want to do everything possible to keep our home safe for her.

I'll try get someone out and get a second opinion..I'll keep you posted!

Is Alpha a good make? I haven't heard anything of them.

Get at least 3 Estimates/Quotes from Bona Fide firms that are recommended to you by friends & family. Ensure they are Gas Safe registered.

Thanks, ours is a Baxi WM 532 RS, we do have a hot water cylinder upstairs

No need for a combi then.

I would advise you get a second opinion from a recommended Gas Safe Engineer.

Good luck.

Whilst i'm not commenting on the OP's issue, in this circumstance I usually let the RGI (or whomever - could be a electrician carrying out a PIR) know that any major remedial work would not be guaranteed to be theirs (putting it a bit more subtly than that mind).

I have someone coming this afternoon to double check and give another quote.

What sort of questions should I be asking when receiving a quote? Is there anything important I need to bear in mind when getting a replacement boiler?

Your not interested in having your original boiler repaired? That's if the burner is cracked at all.

Your not interested in having your original boiler repaired? That's if the burner is cracked at all.

We've been wanting the boiler replaced for a while, so no time like the present, just means I have to go back to work sooner :(

We got another 3 quotes in and they all range from £2500 - £3000 for a condenser boiler. I guess that's the going rate up here..

Another guy said the boiler is fine to use, but only when we're in the house it will start to leak water when the crack gets bigger

We got another 3 quotes in and they all range from £2500 - £3000 for a condenser boiler. I guess that's the going rate up here..

Soooo, are those quotes to rip out existing system and install a combi?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back