Need a new boiler asap

I have just been quoted £1200 to supply, install and commission a heat only boiler and that includes coring out the wall for the flue.

So to me that £2000 plus seems rather high for just replacing a boiler.

Mmm , fair price for a fair standard of work. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I have just been quoted £1200 to supply, install and commission a heat only boiler and that includes coring out the wall for the flue.

So to me that £2000 plus seems rather high for just replacing a boiler.

you will want an extra days labour and a new core bit to get through an aberdeen flavour granite block.........pretty much demonstrates the point i was making earlier about regional variances.

Did this firm from Yell.com give you a quote?

Aberdeen Heating And Plumbing Sponsored

Aberdeen Heating And Plumbing Unit 4, 32, Scotstown Road, Aberdeen , AB23 8HG 2.5 miles N Tel: 01224 708*** Boiler Cleaning, Servicing & Repair

Latest Condensing Boilers Boilers Installed From £1250 Boilers With 5 Years Warranty Fuel Switch Grants Available Complete Systems Installed Gas Safe Registered Engineers

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

Thanks for all your replies, well we finally have a new boiler in, after 1 week of no heating and no hot water, but we're not so happy with it!

We ended up going with a quote for £3100 :eek: oh and we need to pay an extra £150 as we apparently needed a magnetic cleanser thing. But we were quite happy to pay that as we thought the company seemed professional and we wanted the job done properly and thoroughly.

but.....

Now we have not so hot heating, erratic cold/hot/cold water, an ugly condensate pipe down the back of the house which we weren't informed about before, a hole in the wall where the old boiler was because they just wanted to cement the patch rather than brick it like the rest of the house, our bathroom is still baltic as the heated towel rail no longer works and a very messy loft as they just left all the bits of pipe, boxes and tank up there! Plus our carpet was ripped when they pulled it up, lots of scrapes and gouges on the walls where they fitted the TRVs and broken tile in the bathroom.
Thankfully we haven't paid anything yet and won't until all of the above is fixed!

Normally we research things like crazy but because we were pretty desperate to get some heating and hot water, we just didn't have the time! I'm almost tempted to say to bring back our 30 year old boiler - it performed much better than this one currently is!

Do we really need that ugly pipe down the front of our wall!? All we were told was that the condensate would be drained into a soakaway. I've been looking at other people's houses and I can't see any with a pipe down it! What happens if it freezes in winter? Which I'm sure it will living up here!

Did this firm from Yell.com give you a quote?

Aberdeen Heating And Plumbing Sponsored

Aberdeen Heating And Plumbing Unit 4, 32, Scotstown Road, Aberdeen , AB23 8HG 2.5 miles N Tel: 01224 708*** Boiler Cleaning, Servicing & Repair

Latest Condensing Boilers Boilers Installed From £1250 Boilers With 5 Years Warranty Fuel Switch Grants Available Complete Systems Installed Gas Safe Registered Engineers

They quoted us £2700 excluding vat

I'm almost tempted to say to bring back our 30 year old boiler - it performed much better than this one currently is!

This is why i'll be keeping our 90's Ideal Mexico 2 36kw boiler running till the heat exchanger starts leaking, and have been advised by a friendly RGI to do just that.

Sorry to hear of your woes, hope you get it sorted.

And what POS did you end up with Ryiah?

Sorry to hear your woes.

Glad you haven't paid.

Sorry not sure what POS is?

We now have a Viessmann 100-W Combi boiler installed in the attic, with a remote programmer and TRVs installed on all radiators (8). We are still waiting for the weather compensation kit to be installed.

Why did you want a combi boiler?

We charge an extra £400 to convert to a combi.

You should have had an electric immersion element in your old hot water tank.

I would have offered to fit one when coming to quote for fitting a new boiler. Then you have hot water!

Tony

Ryiah, might be a simple reason for what your boiler is doing.

The condensate pipe outside- check the size. It should not be 3/4" as it will freeze during the winter and you will end up with no heating or hot water. Better to have this pipe discharging internally

Fitting a filter might have a sting in the tail as a system must be clean or product warranty can be worthless. In my books cleaning is part of boiler replacement task. A simple draindown will not remove system sediment. Get some water from radiator bleedoff point and see what colour it is.

If boiler is in the loft, the gas line line will almost certainly need to be larger than 22mm pipe (would think 28mm- position of gas meter determines the pipe bore size and distance to the boiler), Fire up a burner on the hob. While watching the size of the flame, run the hot tap. Does the flame remain at the same height?

Finally, quoting figures without seeing the job is purely speculative. The price you paid I think is the right prices if the job is done correctly. I hope the snagging gets done on the changeover and boiler keeps you warm and supplied with hot water.

Ryiah, might be a simple reason for what your boiler is doing.

The condensate pipe outside- check the size. It should not be 3/4" as it will freeze during the winter and you will end up with no heating or hot water. Better to have this pipe discharging internally

Fitting a filter might have a sting in the tail as a system must be clean or product warranty can be worthless. In my books cleaning is part of boiler replacement task. A simple draindown will not remove system sediment. Get some water from radiator bleedoff point and see what colour it is.

If boiler is in the loft, the gas line line will almost certainly need to be larger than 22mm pipe (would think 28mm- position of gas meter determines the pipe bore size and distance to the boiler), Fire up a burner on the hob. While watching the size of the flame, run the hot tap. Does the flame remain at the same height?

Finally, quoting figures without seeing the job is purely speculative. The price you paid I think is the right prices if the job is done correctly. I hope the snagging gets done on the changeover and boiler keeps you warm and supplied with hot water.

100% agree with Danny's comments.

Work of this nature on any house will result in some minor damage to decor etc. Anyone replacing a boiler is replacing the biggest mechanical item in any home, so it's no surprise there's a little snagging.

very true of course - as long as the installers leaving everything working and tidy.

POS= Piece of sh...t A term I use for anything not working as it should.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back