need help with a toilet waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20161008_142333.jpg
IMG_20161008_142327.jpg
IMG_20161008_142343.jpg

Hi guys.

I am having a look at sorting this toilet waste.

The angle coming from the toilet is plastic, the pipe connecting to it is iron.

Various patching jobs have been carried out over the years, I think covering the areas with putty or filler of some kind (not a good job) - whatever is there is now crumbling away.

What should I do first ?

Sponsored Links
IMG_20161008_144320.jpg
IMG_20161008_144316.jpg

Scraped off a little bit and basically there's a hole being covered with what looks like silicone.

The pipe looks to be completely eroded -- is this iron ???

IMG_20161008_145146.jpg
IMG_20161008_145153.jpg

Just to give an idea what's going on.. if I cut through the pipe further back and fitted a plastic waste it doesn't look like I'll have enough space to fit a collar or anything much of that nature.. any ideas ?

That's a lead soil pipe with a vent coming off it - any chance of a pic outside to see what it goes into

Sponsored Links
oooh thats going to cost :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: after hearing you don't like paying your bills i hope you pay the plumber that fixes it :whistle::cautious:.

I don't think you'd get anyone for £84. ;)

That's a lead soil pipe with a vent coming off it - any chance of a pic outside to see what it goes into

The vent pipe goes up the outside of the wall. The soil pipe goes straight into the stack. Ground floor flat. What you thinking ?

I was thinking worst case scenario if more of the lead is perished - take it all out through the wall and join into the (presumably iron ) stack. Ground floor is good in that scenario. So first idea is to clean off paint from soilpipe in front of the vent - measure the OD of pipe - see if you can get a Multikwik connector to fit into the ID of the pipe allowing for a 2 to 3mm wall thickness. 2nd idea see if a Fernco type banded connector will fit over the pipe and convert to 110mm plastic. The lead can be cut with a throw away carpenter's woodsaw (quicker and more accurate than a hacksaw) Just behind the belled out bit leaving a stub in front of the vent.

Or you could do what I saw the other month some!!!! Plumber!!!!! Had just wraped it up in denso
tape and made a right pigs ear of it.

I think you need to get a plumber in to investigate exactly what that pipe is, or get some of that paint off to understand what materials you have. By it's shape the primary pipe looks like it might be a saltglazed clay pipe with a secondary vent and connection in lead as @Nige F mentions.

Once materials are known then it may be possible to use an angle grinder and carefully cut out the clay at the damaged section and remake with new pipe.

I was thinking worst case scenario if more of the lead is perished - take it all out through the wall and join into the (presumably iron ) stack. Ground floor is good in that scenario. So first idea is to clean off paint from soilpipe in front of the vent - measure the OD of pipe - see if you can get a Multikwik connector to fit into the ID of the pipe allowing for a 2 to 3mm wall thickness. 2nd idea see if a Fernco type banded connector will fit over the pipe and convert to 110mm plastic. The lead can be cut with a throw away carpenter's woodsaw (quicker and more accurate than a hacksaw) Just behind the belled out bit leaving a stub in front of the vent.

It's all iron yeah.

IMG_20161009_120935.jpg

So I took this just in front of the vent where the paint is thinnest.. 310mm

IMG_20161008_145153a.jpg

IMG_20161009_123349.jpg

I've got 1 inch of pipe at best if the cut is made there, is this enough to fit a fernco type banded connector ?

Of what's available : https://www.fernco.com/plumbing/flexible-couplings

I was looking at these, the 1056 series :

https://www.fernco.com/plumbing/flexible-couplings/stock-couplings#tid-186

So 310/3.14 = 98mm let's say 100mm OD I need

This one ? https://www.fernco.com/dimensional-drawings/plumbing/flexible-couplings/stock-couplings-1056/1056-44

Trouble is that it's 4 inches deep so I need at least 2inches of pipe either end to slot into it ?????????????

I think you need to get a plumber in to investigate exactly what that pipe is, or get some of that paint off to understand what materials you have. By it's shape the primary pipe looks like it might be a saltglazed clay pipe with a secondary vent and connection in lead as @Nige F mentions.

Once materials are known then it may be possible to use an angle grinder and carefully cut out the clay at the damaged section and remake with new pipe.

I'm going to start scraping away the paint today

Yep, I'm always surprised sometimes by some of the materials they used to use, clay/lead/iron. Depending on what materials they are, determines the best course of action.

You want the diameters too, that'll determine what modern alternatives you can use. Fernco are real handy when it comes to doing a repair if that's what you wish to do but you need to make sure the butt points of the repair are as tight together as possible to avoid dips or shelves for material to be caught on/ build up on.

The ideal would be to see if the run to the stack could be replaced but that's quite a bit of work.

IMG_20161009_131646.jpg

IMG_20161009_131936.jpg

IMG_20161009_131658.jpg

IMG_20161009_131931.jpg

It gets worse. Put a mirror to see the underside of the pipe and it looks like it's been patched up so the lead could be missing entirely ???? Toilet fitted by fred flintstone ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back