Need help with grading soil for fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to build a fence due to issues with my neighbors- I am dealing with someone who is i rate at the fact that they will not be using my yard for access and to have parties on. I want privacy. My yard is diamond shaped on a corner and is on a low slope. All was fine until the neighbors started built up their yard by having yards of soil added and now we have severe flooding in my basement when it rains. When installing my fence (it will be 6ft) do I measure against her existing grade and build my yard up or am I supposed to go with my lower side? I am 19 inches lower than she is at this point because of what she has done.

I thought I'd go with her grade and then either backfill or place railroad ties and plants or just run planters alongside her side of the fence. Suggestions, please? :!:

Sponsored Links
If its your fence, you have up to 6'6" from your ground level without planning permission.

OH yeah, didn't notice that.

In that case, seeing as the Yanks always supersize stuff, go for a 50 foot high fence with 20 foot trellis on top, backed up by 300 foot redwoods :D

wrong DIY forum I think, the diychatroom is one in the US I think.

Sponsored Links
Sue her for flooding your basement, or claim on your insurance and tell them the reason why. Then they'll take up the case. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back