Neighbours boiler safety becasue of my new build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some advice on this one.

Just had a new porch built

The following steps were taken

Informed neighbour of my intentions - we informally spoke about it, agreed and sent him a written letter of my intentions. He was ok about it

Applied for planning permision - granted and aproved as a permitted development.

Porch complete - now neighbour has been handed warning advice notice report stating that flue to close to boundary wall (my wall I guess) only 200mm should be at least 600mm

My porch dosnt encroach onto his land yet his flue exausts over onto my "air space" so to speak. Well it did when the porch wasn't there. I was concerned more about the effects of the exaust gas/moisture on the brick work etc. Apparently his boiler has shut itself down a few times. I didnt know it would do this to a boiler. I also didnt know that it sucked air in at the flue.

boiler make Potterton Performa 28 Neighbour has been told that a vertical flue is only option.

So I want to know what to do, who was at fault, who is to blame, how can this be resolved. Who will have to foot the bill.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Answer in short is YOU. You will have to foot the bill.

He has been nice to not oppose you building that porch, so now new issues has arisen due to it, so you are better off compromising instead of falling out with your next doors, over a few pounds! (just my opinion, nothing to do with right of way or other laws) Or if he agrees to half n half. But in my view, it is your problem not his, though he is now having issues with his boiler going off, and if he takes this up with the local council, they may make you alter your porch and so you won't escape expenditure, and still fall out with him!

Another example, if your neighbor lets off a smelly one, right a few cms from your fence, and that foul air enters your air space, how you going to stop that, think logically! LOL (Unless he was operating an illegal home made power station churning out green house gasses, then you may have a leg to stand on)

I have the opposite view from mike, your neighbours boiler should not have been installed with the flue exhausting over your boundary,I know its done but your neighbour has found out why it shouldent be done,

I would come to a compromise with your neighbour perhaps pay half each ? but you dont have any resposability for how his boiler is installed.

I have the opposite view from mike, your neighbours boiler should not have been installed with the flue exhausting over your boundary,I know its done but your neighbour has found out why it shouldent be done,

I would come to a compromise with your neighbour perhaps pay half each ? but you dont have any resposability for how his boiler is installed.

I am assuming that his neigbhour's boiler flue is 200mm inside his own boundary wall and not over the OP's boundary and the escaping fumes may well enter past Op's boundary or his air space.

Sponsored Links

I am going by the fact he mentioned that his boiler flue is 200mm inside his boundary wall.

So it's closer than it should be which makes it the neighbours problem. Depends how much he wants to get in with them!

Boiler and flue may have been there before the regs, and even agreed the position with the previous neighbour.

It's also illegal, any build that compromises a flue.

You're quite right DIA the porch shouldn't have been built til the flue was moved but the performa is relatively new so has not been installed according to the regs.

Question is whether the wall is along the centre plane of the flue or directly across it?

Porch complete - now neighbour has been handed warning advice notice report stating that flue to close to boundary wall (my wall I guess) only 200mm should be at least 600mm

Cheers.

I'm with Picasso and Razor

strictly speaking your nieghbours flue is no less compliant now then it was before you got your porch built, and it is part of the reason the regulation is there in the first place

it states ""From a surface or boundary facing the terminal"

surface = your new porch wall
boundary = the dividing line between your land and your neighbour's land

therefore if it had been compliant before you built the porch it would still be compliant now

Its his problem not yours mate, and I know it pays to get on with your neighbours, but rest assured no "blame" can be apportioned to you
The blame should lie with the boilers installer, as he should have pointed out the fact (well maybe he did at the time, who knows!)
Matt

Forget any building regs, this is basic trespass law. One neighbour can't emit combustion products over the boundary.

Plenty do of course since installers are happy to keep quiet about the consequences of doing so and customers don't want the expense of a correct and legal flue terminal location.

There's a host of laws regarding air space and householders rights.

Google "Kelson versus Imperial Tobacco". This set the precedent for trespass of airspace directly over the property.

The neighbour can relocate their boiler flue. The OP gave prior warning of the build, perhaps the architect/builder should have mentioned the consequences of not moving the flue since most householders would be unaware of the possible problems of re-circulating combustion products.

It is not your problem ,

Any boiler flue that is installed should take into consideration that some one may build up to there boundary

Tis in the gas regs

You are not liable

Boiler was install incorrectly too close to your boundary.
Period. Neighbours problem.

The regulations are there for just these problems.

Yep. there is probably an RGI reading this and sweating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back