New Alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im having my house rewired, is it best to go for a wired or wireless system or best just to fit a dummy box with light. My insurance knocks off a tenner if you fit an alarm, so not much incentive really!

Sponsored Links
An alarm installed by a spark will no doubt nock zilch off ;)

If you are having the place pulled apart for a rewire, fitting a wired alarm is the obvious way to go.

Are you saying its best to use a dedicated alarm company rather than a spark?

If you are wanting an alarm just to reduce your insurance don't forget that would be offset by having to pay for service visits.
There is also the possibility of having a claim reduced or not paid if you tell the insurers you have an alarm but then forget to set it.

Sponsored Links
There is also the possibility of having a claim reduced or not paid if you tell the insurers you have an alarm but then forget to set it.

Only if they give you a discount. If not it makes no difference .

If you are wanting an alarm just to reduce your insurance don't forget that would be offset by having to pay for service visits.

And the cost for peace of mind is??

The OP already indicated he wasn't motivated by the insurance cost saving. Neither did he actually say servicing by approved/accredited company was a requirement for the tenner discount.

And the cost for peace of mind is??

The OP already indicated he wasn't motivated by the insurance cost saving. Neither did he actually say servicing by approved/accredited company was a requirement for the tenner discount.

To be honest if I was an average joe customer I would have a wired or wirefree installed by a non approved installer and once the system was stable and any false alarms had been ironed out then I would call in an approved company check it over and do the servicing.
Thus saving on install costs but still getting Insurance cover if needed.
Most likely though would be not to bother with an insurance company unless it was a reequirement of the insurance.
Oh and I would have an autodialler to my own phone instead of the expense of a monitored alarm and the messing around with keyholders.

To be honest if I was an average joe customer I would have a wired or wirefree installed by a non approved installer and once the system was stable and any false alarms had been ironed out then I would call in an approved company check it over and do the servicing.

as one of (if not the only approved installer) who regularly reads your posts let me assure you that it just doesnt work like that.

fastalarms said:
Oh and I would have an autodialler to my own phone instead of the expense of a monitored alarm and the messing around with keyholders.

but then you dont have an audit trail and no one to ensure the "signal" actually gets through. - pointless then really

ps - ignore everything Joe90 posts too ...................

That could end up costing you more if the new install needs bring up to standards.

That could end up costing you more if the new install needs bring up to standards.

If the Sparky installed Grade 2 kit then why would it cost money to bring up to scratch. If the system wasn't as specified or wouldn't be accepted for a service takeover then I would be straight back to the spark for a free repair or update.

as one of (if not the only approved installer) who regularly reads your posts let me assure you that it just doesnt work like that.

fastalarms said:

but then you dont have an audit trail and no one to ensure the "signal" actually gets through. - pointless then really

Are you seriously suggesting approved installers would turn down the chance to pick up service contracts?

Why pointless?
If you are using your own phone line wether that's to an ARC or to your own mobile there is EXACTLY the same chance of the signal getting through as the EXACT same equipment is being used. Odd statement
Audit trail... yes you do as provided by the control panels log.

If the Sparky installed Grade 2 kit then why would it cost money to bring up to scratch. If the system wasn't as specified or wouldn't be accepted for a service takeover then I would be straight back to the spark for a free repair or update.
You still haven't got to grips with the grading have you. Nor about how other companies - accredited or otherwise - run their business.
Stop spouting on about things you know nothing about whilst claiming to be helping the public.

fastalarms said:

Are you seriously suggesting approved installers would turn down the chance to pick up service contracts?

Why pointless?
If you are using your own phone line wether that's to an ARC or to your own mobile there is EXACTLY the same chance of the signal getting through as the EXACT same equipment is being used. Odd statement

Clueless. Bl**dy clueless!!

thats correct

Why pointless?

okay, leaving aside graded comms as thats too hard for you to comprehend

imagine this scenario

Joe - you were called by my alarm, there was a break in and they must have been there for ages - why didnt you go and see to it?

adam - i wasnt called (cause you never asked me to be a keyholder, and i dont want bashing over the head either)

Joe - yes you were the alarm went off and the log says it went off

adam - but it didnt ring me

Joe - yes it did

adam - prove it.

myself? I prefer a paper trail when I go to court

as I said - its pointless using a speech dialler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back