new boiler certificates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can someone please help. i've recently had an extension put on my house. But before it was signed off by the building control bloke, i had a friend who used to be corgi registered fit a new boiler in the extension. I didnt think it would have anything to do with the building control bloke, but oh how wrong could i be. Now they want the certificates etc. which i obvviously dont have cos my mate is no longer corgi reg.

I can get a safety certificate for it but im not sure if it will be good enough, as someone has told me i need the fitters report.

Apart from taking the boiler out untill its been signed off can anyone give me some other idea.

THANKS

Sponsored Links
You'll get a few different opinions on this site about this, but heres my 2p worth:

The formerly CORGI person who fitted it should have known that he should NOT have fitted & brought the boiler into operation without having current valid CORGI registration. In the eyes of the law he did wrong by fitting it, and unfortunately for you, YOU did wrong by having him fit it.

Also unfortunately for you, now building control know about it. Otherwise it would have joined the 100's of thousands of boilers installed every year by unregistered people throughout the UK and unknown to building control.

The proper solution for you would be to contact someone who is CORGI registered. They will then either:

Tell you that as its someone elses workmanship you are asking them to certify they are not interested (this is probably what I'd do)

or

They could charge you a fee for thoroughly checking the installation (including removing the boiler from the wall to check the bracket, sampling the water in system to see if it was properly powerflushed as per manufacturers instructions, checking the gas pipe size, the integrity of the flue pipe and many other checks as neccessary), and then commission the boiler and notify building control.

Hopefully from your perspective you can find an engineer to go through the latter procedure above, make sure the thing is 100% safe and likely to work right, and get building control off of your back. Unfortunately for you the checks & commissioning is not likely to be cheap, as you are asking an engineer to certify the job as sound, and so they have to very thoroughly check everything and then put their name to it. You may even find that this procedure costs almost as much as having an unregistered person install a boiler for you...

Best of luck in finding someone.

I totally agree with ACO. The only way I would take on a job like this would be to completley remove the boiler and start installation again including gas supply to it if not sized correctly.

I would be surprised if you found a good CORGI who would do otherwise.

Good luck, as building control won't let this drop :rolleyes:

curly boy said:
can someone please help. i've recently had an extension put on my house. But before it was signed off by the building control bloke, i had a friend who used to be corgi registered fit a new boiler in the extension. I didnt think it would have anything to do with the building control bloke, but oh how wrong could i be. Now they want the certificates etc. which i obvviously dont have cos my mate is no longer corgi reg.

I can get a safety certificate for it but im not sure if it will be good enough, as someone has told me i need the fitters report.

Apart from taking the boiler out untill its been signed off can anyone give me some other idea.

THANKS

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
scatmanjohn said:
curly boy said:

THANKS

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Here Bloodie here

You made your bed lie in it

bet you wanted a "cheap" job, now it is going to cost you

was asked by someone to "commision" their boiler as they found themselves in very similar situation to yours

so I worked out how much it would cost for me to do the job from scratch and quoted them that ( as I would be ripping most of it out) he told me that I was "taking the urine" to which I just laffed all the way to the pub.

whilst at the pub I recieved about ten calls from colleagues who had received a call from the same gent and, gawd love em, they did the same as me

oh well he will have to get someone to do it no doubt but it aint going to be me.

Let that be a lesson to all those who think that they are more clever than the rules...........you aint get over it

Thanks to all who sent a reply, looks like i'll have to take it off the wall then. :(

There is an alternative!

If they agree, the Building Control Officer can inspect the installation although they charge about £130. They may subcontract it to a CORGI.

If it was installed as part of the building extension and shown on the plans etc. then I think that they have to inspect it as part of the building work.

I am pleased to see that at least one BCO is taking the matter of fitting gas apliances seriously!

There is another trick home owners use! They get a non CORGI to fit the boiler but when the job is done they ask for his CORGI card and when he has not got one they dont pay him anything !!!

Tony

another way is tel them the boiler was an existing instaltion, you just built the extention round it .. so there it dont need notifiying as it was fitted pre 2005 .. :)

2face said:
another way is tel them the boiler was an existing instaltion, you just built the extention round it .. so there it dont need notifiying as it was fitted pre 2005 .. :)

What, and the data badge with the date of manufacture just happened to fall off as well. :LOL: :LOL:

2face said:

mmm the serial number on the appliance would blow this one out of the water.

also it would blow any warrantee (not that matey has one as he bypassed a professional to save some cash)

Agiles suggestion is probably the only real senible one but the bloke who fitted will be up to his eyes in the midden once they find ot he broke the law in a big way.

still doubt that will bother the OP as he is a little bit whooo and and little bit whaa

he is a geezer

:rolleyes:

2face said:
i did know this .......it was a light hearted joke . :_)

was it?

better to make that clear when posting to a chap who has stuck it to the likes of us chaps who have paid shed loads of money and taken the time to give their clients a professional and legal job

he may take you seriously

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back