New Boiler Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im currently getting quotations for a new boiler, im finally going to get rid of the powermax that has been a nightmare. I want to change it to a combination boiler.
Anyway I contacted British Gas who came around and quoted yesterday, they quoted me a staggering £4,100.00, I couldnt believe it......He mentioned 4 grand before even looking at the boiler.
Would really appreciate it if someone could reply letting me know what I should be looking at paying for this to be done and if anyone knows any kent based companys that would be interested in doing the works.

Sponsored Links
Now`t wrong with B G , I`m a believer that they don`t monkey around, but give you a good service:cool:Take a giant step, and give them the job. You just may be the one to find they are good. OR am I just a daydream believer :LOL:

Go onto gas safe reg website ,find an installer section,will give you local installers

Sponsored Links
Always difficult to quote from a distance, but with all their overheads (just think how much their TV/Radio ads, huge presence in yellow pages/BT books must cost......) offices, surveyors, call centre staff etc do you ask yourself just who has to pay for it all?

Not knocking the service/installation competence, just the cost.

I reckon generally to be able to match the install, but, 25-30% less cost.

DH

I am not in Kent tho'. :LOL:

£4000 bargain :D
I suspect that they need to put a vertical flue in which will require costly scaffolding. Us mear mortals just use ladders, much cheaper. :D
What did they quote you for btw? Powermaxs deliver a hell of a lot of water and a low power combi is gonna be very dissapointing!

£4000 bargain :D
I suspect that they need to put a vertical flue in which will require costly scaffolding. Us mear mortals just use ladders, much cheaper. :D
What did they quote you for btw? Powermaxs deliver a hell of a lot of water and a low power combi is gonna be very dissapointing!

They quoted for a Worcester greenstar 24i junior. The problem I believe with the powermax is down to scale build up and needed flushing which british gas quoted to do it for £800.00. They said that within 6 months I would need to have it done again so thought a new boiler would be more economical.

BG are rip off merchants and sharks.

That's all you need to understand.

oh dear. a 24kw combi to replace a thermal store. I wouldn't want to see the look on your face when you first open the tap after paying that sort of money out. Clueless idiots. Its the cheapest budget boiler worcester do as well.
Did they even check your current hot water flow rate to see what your used to?
The powerflushing nonsense sounds like usual BG rubbish selling tricks.

oh dear. a 24kw combi to replace a thermal store. I wouldn't want to see the look on your face when you first open the tap after paying that sort of money out. Clueless idiots. Its the cheapest budget boiler worcester do as well.
Did they even check your current hot water flow rate to see what your used to?
The powerflushing nonsense sounds like usual BG rubbish selling tricks.

Thanks for the reply mickyg, no they didnt check any flow rates at all, they also informed me that you cannot flush microbore pipework, is this correct?? Also what would a powerflush if available normally cost??

they also informed me that you cannot flush microbore pipework, is this correct?? Also what would a powerflush if available normally cost??

Whether you can do it or not BG did mine and charged £440 for the pleasure......made no difference....it was used in the hope that they wouldn't have to replace an expensive main heater exchanger....which they eventually did.

Tell BG to take a hike, get in a local company based on recommendations from friends etc...

BG are rip off merchants and sharks.

Be careful! Look what happened to Danger M when he said that kind of thing!

British Gas has overheads.

I would recommend a powerful storage combi boiler like a Vaillant 937.

You will be very unhappy with a 24i.

Tony

they also informed me that you cannot flush microbore pipework, is this correct?? Also what would a powerflush if available normally cost??

Whether you can do it or not BG did mine and charged £440 for the pleasure......made no difference....it was used in the hope that they wouldn't have to replace an expensive main heater exchanger....which they eventually did.

Tell BG to take a hike, get in a local company based on recommendations from friends etc...

The worrying thing is that BG were the ones who informed me of the scale build up and that they dont cover this in there homecare agreement, could the lack of hot water be down to the blending valve?? Reason I ask is that they have changed this on three occasions and after the last one the hot water started playing up??

As the latest Which mag said. most households would be hundreds of pounds better off if they stuck the money in a savings account.

BG get Brownie points for selling things, They don't care how many lies they tell to achieve that goal.

it may well be the blending valve. easy to tell, just see if one of the pipes to it actually gets hot when the tap is running. What thermal store is it? if its one of the albion ones they scale up badly as the hot water coil is only narrow bore. The gedhills seem to last longer...a bit :D
I'd recommend replacing it with either a highflow combi or seperate boiler and UV cylinder depending on usage and water flow/pressure available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back