New Boiler needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After several problems with it I am thinking (depending on cost) of replacing the Ideal (far from it in my opinion) HE 30 Boiler I took on when I bought the house.
Its about 8 years old and I now know why there are so many complaints and moans about these boilers. I am thinking of replacing it with a Worcester model which seem to be at the more expensive end of the market but have very good reviews.
I can get the cost of the boilers from numerous websites but I am finding it difficult to get a gas safe engineer to give me a quote for installation.
I have contacted 8 of these "Tradespeople" and only two have bothered to return my calls let alone call to survey etc. (are there are two few of them and they can cherry pick the work they take on)?
What would the aprox cost be of changing the boiler, which is wall mounted in the kitchen (with easy access under and above) for a Worcester?
Any sensible comments would be appreciated to help me decide.
Thanks for all help.

Sponsored Links
Many reputable installers will want to listen to your needs, then recommend, supply, install and commission your boiler for an all inclusive price. Some will also offer to maintain it long term.

As your request is not along these lines you could expect a mixed response.

You may find a lesser class of installer offers a fit only service.

You may find a lesser class of installer offers a fit only service.

It is not really a case of "lesser quality fitters", more like lesser quality clients. If they really think they are going to save a bundle, they are mistaken, and they are perceived as clients more likely to be a problem.

When id you last go to a steak house and take your own steak?

If YOU supply the boiler ( because you think its saves YOU money ) then be aware that the installer will not become involved in any problems that may arise under the warrantee cover.

If you must buy the boiler yourself, then a typical installation cost would be about £840 if everything else was correct like the size of the gas pipe.

Tony

Sponsored Links
If you tell me on the phone you can get a boiler for so much from a website there's no way a decent engineer will want the hassle of working for you.

A personal hate of mine is people who know the cost of everything but value of nothing.

Forget worcester. Go for an Atag will outperform worcester.

Atag will be able to recommend a local fitter for the boiler.

Apologies for not replying earlier and thanks for all the replies.
I was not thinking of buying the boiler myself but as an uniformed individual I though I could get an idea of the cost of the boiler content of any quotation, presuming that the cost of the boiler to the Gas Safe fitter would be no more than the retail cost.
This is partly because I cannot get anyone to give me a quotation.
(The names I have tried were all from the "T A Trader" and the "Trustmark" websites).
I have asked them to quote for an "all in" quotation including a Worcester Boiler.

This post was simply to hopefully get an indication on installation costs I could expect to pay so my wife and I can mull it over as one does with our budget etc.

Dont go for these random websites for reconsiderations, ask your neighbours and friends who they use for their gas works and who they recomend. You'll get a much better response from engineers that have been recommend by people you know as they will want to keep the recomendations going and probably dont need to waste money paying these websites to keep their name up a list.

As far as the Ideal goes. Unless you have some dam good insurance on it and pleny of time to wait in for visits, its def about time to chuck it and get something else.

Assuming the gas pipe does not need upgrading, a decent boiler will set you back about £1000-£1300 - Remember they need to add a flue/possibly clock/rejig the pipes to fit (and coppers bloodie dear now) Being a new build it will almost certainly need thourougly flushed out and preferably would have a filter fitted.

So as an estimate combi swap expect £2000-£2500 for a good job.

After several problems with it I am thinking (depending on cost) of replacing the Ideal (far from it in my opinion).

Always amazes me how people condemn a boiler (ideal 30 he) in this case because its had a few problems, did you ever consider it may be the cause of the installer, lack of maintenance, engineers who dont have a clue, do you really think your new worcester/valliant etc is going to fair better without the right people on it.
I have an ideal hanging on my wall and its been there for 9 yrs and never missed a beat.

Agreed, best to find someone that is just as interested in servicing /maintaining your boiler
As they are installing it, as they will have a vested interested in doing a proper job to maintain your repeat custom, as opposed to sling it on the wall Joe never to be heard of again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back