New boiler selection help please

You're way out of date Tony, the answer time is more like 30 seconds than 30 minutes and they're extremely helpful.

Perhaps they have improved then?

But they used to be very bad indeed!

As for being helpful I can still remember the German fellow ( who I referred to as Fritz ) who refused to tell me the burner pressure for one of their models.

I pointed out that I am required to measure it whenever I work on a boiler but he still refused and said that only Vaillant engineers were permitted to measure burner pressures! Complete twitt and spoils Vaillant's reputation letting anyone answering their phones like that.

I also remember reporting to them ages ago that on one of their boilers the BP tended to drift seriously high. They refused to admit there was any problem.

A couple of months later they issued a recall on it. It was the one where they put lead seals on the adjustment cover!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Funny, I've had no problems with them, and then for another thread today I phoned tech to get the part number for a remote pr just after I posted on this thread

Half an hour later, I got through :rolleyes:

Maybe it was lunch time

I pointed out that I am required to measure it whenever I work on a boiler but he still refused and said that only Vaillant engineers were permitted to measure burner pressures! Complete twitt and spoils Vaillant's reputation letting anyone answering their phones like that.y

you've been rolling that story out for about 5yrs now tony, about time you invented a new one :p

• Thanks
Reactions: oph
Sponsored Links
ensure that the system is thoroughly flushed out and inhibitor added, The other manufacturers boilers mentioned have very narrow waterways (wb does not) which can block up easy, so i would recommend a magnaclene for sure. The w b back up is second to none in the unlikely event its required !!!!. Even got one myself

Surely if the system is properly cleaned then no mag filter is needed?

I agree the Worcester tech service and after sales is the best in the indurtry.

I hope you are following the thread about the rippled heat exchanger on a 24Ri whioch their engineer has refused to repair even as a paid for job!

Tony

tony ...is that the rippled h/exch that he bought off ebay for £150 which was a dog, and he knew the heatcell and fan were goosed (price to replace both about £450 + ) and he thought for a call out fee he should get all replaced and the boiler brought to standard!................laughable !

Thats it !

But looking at the original Ebay listing there was no indication that the seller knew that it had any problem. All he said was that a larger boiler was required! Larger than a 24 kW heat only means a very large house or a seriously over sized boiler!

Nor is there any indication that the purchasor realised there was any problem with it when he bought it. I can only assume that he was told by his reg installer.

We are waiting to see what reason W-B give for refusing to do a paid for repair ( even though its still under the warranty being less than two years old ).

Having received the "be nice to customers and do everything" when he called them, I can understand that he is disappointed they will not repair it.

But there are also suggestions that the accredited W-B installer did not fit it correctly or in an unacceptable location.

We have to wait for the answers!

Tony

I havent ever fitted Magnalense with the wb as i have always Powerflushed properly, the point i was making was that the waterways are larger than in stainless steel heat exchangers and i have not rippled any and i can assure you that iam an installer and not a rep !!!!!!!

But looking at the original Ebay listing there was no indication that the seller knew that it had any problem. All he said was that a larger boiler was required! Larger than a 24 kW heat only means a very large house or a seriously over sized boiler!

Oh dear god - you are shltting me right?

Okay, I've narrowed it down to a Viessmann or a Viessmann. Either the
*100-W with basic weather comp (prob useless in my house as it's an old sandstone property so leaks heat) and 7 day wireless stat
OR
* 200-W with weather comp. Have been advised by Viessmann that I dont need a stat with this as it is all handled via the weather comp and the ability to change the comp. cure to suit my house.

From those in the know, which option would be your preference.

Thank you!

I'm angling after the 200, given the additional, albeit small savings thentempmcomp will give. The house doesn't have drafts so I am thinking provided we dial im the correct comp curve , it should be okay? Maybe I wrong or just sold on the idea of weather comp.......

Re the rippled heat ex on the 24Ri. To be fair we don't know if it was rippled before the WB accredited installer stuffed it onto the system the wrong way round :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Linky

Many installers consider Vaillant to be pretty average quality nowadays.

Furthermore their customer service from their tech help line has been apalling in recent years.

Not answering calls at all for 30 min plus hardly encourages anyone to fit their boilers.

Really, I'm quite impressed with the techand the service I've had from them.

I don't think I would call them average, although I think people get more value for there money with Glow Worm

I stopped fitting Worcester because of poor service and an arrogant sales
manager.

I'm looking around at what else is available but nothing grabs me at the mo

Worcester sales rep is a t wat in my neck of the woods. I got removed because I wasnt hitting the fifty boilers a year malarky. Sorry, but theres a massive long lasting recession going on still :rolleyes: :mad:

Im doing Vaillants and Glow-worms now and am approved for both.

Far more quality inside them. Worcesters are all plastic

If you have good flow rate on your incoming main then go for the Glow-worm 35 Ultracom2 storage combi. Approx 19 litres per minute and it outguns any worcester combi except their highflow. Mind you, you'd need a second mortgage for their highflow model.

Stupid money to say the least plus the highflow is floorstanding

Oh, got an enquiry from the worcester site about 2 days before coming off and it has led to the installation of two separate jobs replacing 155x powermax's with the above mentioned storage combi's.

November is filling up nicely

The 200 with out a doubt is the way to go with weather comp...it has sophisticated control algorithms, which maintian the house temp at the required programmed temperature..its a bit more expensive but you dont need third party controls or TRVs (asumimg thertads are correctly sized)for that matter..I have many out there and my clients love the heating experience it gives..

the 100 is a good basic boiler..but you cant buy it in Germany..nuff said?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back