New boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks I wondered if someone could advise me with regards to a new boiler and conversion.

Current setup is as follows.

Bungalow 12 or 13 years old.Glow worm Ultimate boiler (40FF) in garage providing central heating only, and currently playing up (just testing it in readiness, pilot light on, igniter flashing away but main boiler not firing up)

Hot water is via electric on a timer, it comes on for a couple of hours in the night and provides enough hot water in the tank for the day.
Showers are electric.

I realise that the boiler problem may be just a blocked pilot and fairly easily sorted but it's probably the same age as the house so may be best to renew.
What I'd like to do is get it all on to gas. Central heating, hot water and showers with a combi boiler maybe.
I'm no plumber so would have to get someone in but is this feasible?
I'd thought in my ignorance some new piping bypassing the electric water storage tank and new piping to the showers and new boiler of course.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.....

thanks...... John

Sponsored Links
You say showers ? combis are limited in the hot water they can provide dependent on incoming cold water flow/ pressure ,& the size of the combi ( kw input) and it will probably involve uprating the gas supply. Other options are a heat only or system boiler & unvented tank , The central heating load isnt as bigger issue as the amount of hot water you will be using & how many bathrooms/ showers will be supplied by it

2 showers but only 1 ever used really (just the 2 of us) but they can stay on electric if it'd cause a problem.
We don't use or need massive amounts of hot water like a family with kids would for instance, just a couple of codgers in a medium sized bungalow.

I'd advise keeping electric showers and therefore if there became a fault on the boiler at least you've still got a means of hot water.

The answer to your question is yes it can be done but as mentioned above the gas pipe may need to be upgraded.

Sponsored Links
Your boiler fault is probably a relatively simple one.

It is relatively old and not a bad idea to replace soon. But you will not gain more than about 10-15% increase in efficiency.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back