New build, socket in cupboard under sink

To be honest there's a risk and a benefit of everything. Risk of a ceiling pendant is a certain level, maybe similar to a socket under the sink waste. Neither are particularly high hence the regs don't forbid.
However the benefit of a pendant is a lot more than having a socket exactly under the waste pipe.
You can reasonably move the socket to the side, but you can't easily move the pendant.
That's why electricians are professionals, they have to use professional judgement.

Sponsored Links
Looks like a cable was run in for the socket but was cut too short in the second fix, certainly put on a snagging list as mentioned. I don't like the screws being so close to what is now single insulation.

Looks like a cable was run in for the socket but was cut too short in the second fix,
Nah. Whoever fitted it, was on their hands and knees, head inside the cupboard, trying to avoid Mr Damp's pipes. He/she has pulled the cable through the surface box, stripped back some outer sheathing and connected up the socket.
Then pushed the socket onto the box and fastened.
As a result the cable has been pushed back through the hole in the back revealing the inner conductors. With a bit more care he/she might have doubled over the inners so everything is inside the box.

It's not great trying to connect up things at the back of a 600x600x600mm box. But it is easily rectified.

Sponsored Links
... but I would always fit sockets in the area least affected by leaks
Yes but why tempt fate if you can avoid fitting a socket under a waste pipe coupling
Indeed. Water ingress can obviously happen virtually anywhere, but it is clearly more likely when in the vicinity of plumbing - so, if/when it is possible, it is sensible to apply common sense in choosing locations for electrical accessories.

I have plenty of accessories (sockets, FCUs, JBs etc.) under sinks etc. but, where possible, I have attempted to locate them in places 'less likely' to suffer from water ingress (i.e. avoiding locations beneath joints {particularly in waste pipes}, and beneath pipes along which water could run and then 'drip off').

Kind Regards, John

Yeah I think you're right TTC . Just looking at this again it looks like that the socket back box is screwed into the back of the cupboard which appears to be Hardboard?

The point is there's no rule that says you can't fit a socket under a (kitchen) sink.

Leaks can happen ANYWHERE.

The point is there's no rule that says you can't fit a socket under a (kitchen) sink. Leaks can happen ANYWHERE.
Agreed - there isn't, and they can - but there are 'anywheres' where leaks are far more likely to be encountered.

However, as crystal ball and myself have said, if it is possible/practicable to install electrical accessories in places where they are less likely to suffer from the effects of water leaks, then it makes total sense to do just that. That doesn't mean that one shouldn't install them under a kitchen sink, but if there are places beneath the sink where the accessory could be located where water ingress would be less likely (than other places), then it would make sense to use those places.

Kind Regards, John

I was replying to the previous post

Indeed you were.

TTC said "under a sink is fine", and you replied "Yes but why tempt fate if you can avoid fitting a socket under a waste pipe coupling".

So I pointed out that they have not fitted a socket under a waste pipe coupling.

Indeed you were.

TTC said "under a sink is fine", and you replied "Yes but why tempt fate if you can avoid fitting a socket under a waste pipe coupling".

So I pointed out that they have not fitted a socket under a waste pipe coupling.
Yes but he also said something else which prompted my reply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back