New CH installation - Dual Zone Requirement???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Installing my own central heating system, house had no heating other than gas fires when I started.

Cant get a straight answer on the requirement of dual zones.

My house is small and has a large central open stairwell which means any one of the four rads I'm installing would heat the whole house pretty well.

Do I really need to install two zones as building regs L1a seems to suggest or is it down to the discretion of the gas safe engineer I will employ to connect it and to inform building regs?

Thanks in advance for any help / opinions you can offer!!!

Sponsored Links
separate zones are not needed if you have less than 150 square metres of habitable floor area.

Couldn't agree more dcawkwell!!! But what do the regs say and will my plumber require it?
separate zones are not needed if you have less than 150 square metres of habitable floor area.
I understand that since October 2010 that changed - all homes less than 150m2 now need dual zones according to the law.
Feel The Heat UK - Building Regs FAQ L1a said:
The heating must be divided into two heating zones under separate temperature control for homes with a floor area less than 150m2. This means the same time programme can be used for both zones, but separate room thermostats and motorised valves are required for flow control.
Domestic Heating Compliance Guide - Building Regs said:
Dwellings with a total usable floor area up to 150m2 should be divided into at least two space heating zones with independent temperature control, one of which is assigned to the living area.
TRVs are not adequate to create a separate zone.
In addition, all radiators must have Thermostatic Radiator Valves (TRVs) fitted except those in rooms with a room thermostat and those in bathrooms.

The big question is really - will I get picked up on this???

???[/u]

Sponsored Links
Having a separate zone for the bathroom in the summer to help dry towels is well worth the effort IMO. That will satisfy the regs and make it a worthwhile expenditure. Works well for me!

In many ways its better to supply towel rads directly from the boiler so they are always heated whenever the boiler is on!

Tony

The Building Regs requirement is for two zones in properties of ALL sizes, and has been for some time.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBF
Someone asked this question elsewhere - see Central heating Zones. They eventually asked the Department for Communities and Local Government (responsible for the Building Regs) and received this reply (see rodders post on 10/8/12 on page 4):

It is only heating systems in new dwellings and complete new heating systems (including pipework) in existing dwellings that should be provided with two heating zones - and then only if cost-effective.

Keighern wrote
If its an existing property and not new build why worrying about building regs?

Newtoit wrote

Installing my own central heating system, house had no heating other than gas fires when I started.

What has new build got to do with it? Is the CH system not going to be new , so must comply with current building control regs? I would have thought a system that is fuel efficient would have been a better option instead of a heating system controlled by onboard timer only :confused:

Someone asked this question elsewhere - see Central heating Zones. They eventually asked the Department for Communities and Local Government (responsible for the Building Regs) and received this reply (see rodders post on 10/8/12 on page 4):

It is only heating systems in new dwellings and complete new heating systems (including pipework) in existing dwellings that should be provided with two heating zones - and then only if cost-effective.

Finally a straight answer!!! and as mine is not cost effective I will not be fitting a two zone heating system in my house.

Thanks for all your help people!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back