new cooker hood (extractor)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
lo need a little help installin a new cooker hood

do i have to connect this to a fused connection unit (fcu)? what fuse would this need? and the hood i have has only the live and neutral wires no earth how do i connect it in the fcu?

thanks andy

note from the instructions:-an all-pole disconnection switch with a minimum contact seperation of 3mm must be included in the fixed wiring in an easily accessible place

Sponsored Links
yes use an FCU and a 3 amp fuse, as you only have 2 wires you dont have an option, it must be double insulated (square within a square symbol)

i can connect the fcu as a spur from another socket thats on the ring but what is double insulated (square within a square symbol) can u explain in more detail plz

thx for reply m8

double insulated appliances don't require an earth the exact reasons as to why are beyond the scope of this discussion ;)

any double indulated applince should be maked with a symbol that consistos of a square within a square and will have 2 core flex

Sponsored Links
Basically the electrical bits are isolated from the casing & end user, thus not requiring a connection to earth.

If your anything like me, and dont like points on show, you could also install a socket outlet mounted high level above your units and plugged the hood in (same goes for FCU)....or from the lighting circuit....

Just a few other options thrown at ya'.......

i would go with the high level single socket and a plug on the extractor so in a few years time if the extractor burns out it will be easier to unplug it and remove than opening up the fcu to disconnect

Although some install instructs. ask for DP iso, not s/o.

do they have 3mm separation?

I sound a bit a*al, but some manufacturers get picky if their gear is not installed to their say-so.

fingerjabber

I have just done this job a few weeks ago. I used a 3amp fused switch and run a spur up the wall from a normal socket and yes my fan only had a live & nuetral aswell. my only point is, you can't spur from a spur

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back