new electric cooker

Sponsored Links
So those are the options then
40A MCB notifiable to Building Controls fee payable, as it will be considered a new circuit. If not fitted by domestic installers scheme reg.d electrician.
or
keep your current MCB applying diversity calculation, this is good enough.
But don't have everything thing on, at the same time for long periods.

Sponsored Links
oh even thou its the same cable and not been touched in any way and all im doing is only changing the MCB its classed as a new circuit

but with sticking with the 30 amp fuse wont it just keep tripping when i got the oven going at its max (oven and hob on). may be i think question but what you mean by diversity rule

Aha, I think know this one. I asked about diversity just a little earlier, it basically means that since you aren't going to be turning on all the hobs and oven to max, it won't actually draw the maximum current. There's some formula or other to apply depending on what type of circuit it is, and I gather prenticeboy has applied it to oven circuits and found in your favour.

Aha, I think know this one. I asked about diversity just a little earlier, it basically means that since you aren't going to be turning on all the hobs and oven to max, it won't actually draw the maximum current. There's some formula or other to apply depending on what type of circuit it is, and I gather prenticeboy has applied it to oven circuits and found in your favour.

well deduced

lol. the problem being i have a big family and the oven will be used to the max most days. its very usual to have all 4 rings going and the oven

if im right even thou the shops telling me to have a 45amp but i know the appliance only uses 10.2kw thats well within the 40amp scale

if im right even thou the shops telling me to have a 45amp but i know the appliance only uses 10.2kw thats well within the 40amp scale
This is the calcs for your circuit given the information you have given

Required Cable Size 6 mm
Voltage Drop 4.86 Volts.
Percentage Drop 2.1%
Current Load 44.3 Amps
Max Cable Load* 47.0 Amps

You can have installed a 40A MCB, it is what I would do given that your CU already will protect this circuit with RCCB.
The problem is I feel morally bond to inform you that installing this under part p of building regs is deemed notifiable work. As it is considered a new circuit.
link
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law
I know that's a bug-ger :!:
and it would be so easy to just replace your exsiting MCB, for a nice new 40A one and no one would be any the wiser.
But I would not dare suggest you do that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back