New gas supply - Do I have to accept damage to flat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been notified by Scotia Gas Networks, that they are currently upgrading the gas supply in our area.

We live in a top floor flat and our current supply runs on top of the ceiling, The meter is in our wetroom, but the pipes are all covered by tiles or come in through the ceiling.

While all current pipes and electricity supply are nicely laid along one corner of the stairwell, the new pipes are a bit all over the place, and are obstructive when carrying large and heavy things up the stairs.

As if this was not enough, the engineers told us today that the new pipe cannot use the same 'entry' into our flat as used at present and that the pipes will enter our property into our wetroom. We have only fully tiled this room a short while back and pipes running along the walls are a significant impact to the look and feel of the room. They will also likely make a lot of our DIY look rather unsuitable.

Can I insist on the work using the existing pipes?
Can I claim compensation for the damage to the property?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

A.

Sponsored Links
I will post a pic next weekend, I am not at the property this week.

pipes should not impede you foot position on the stairs
any pipes should be well away from the treads or risers
how exactly do they impede/hinder your safe movement up the stairs

Sponsored Links
And any gas pipes in a community area have to fire proofed, in the space and where they pass through the ceiling.floor.

Is this a rented flat, or who's paying.

What DO you expect from gas fitters :LOL: ... seen it all before - nothing changes , just used to be The Gas Board - now it`s Scrotia :LOL:

pipes should not impede you foot position on the stairs
any pipes should be well away from the treads or risers
how exactly do they impede/hinder your safe movement up the stair

Previously the pipes were at the far end of the stairwell in one corner. Now they are cut through one step at either side, half way through the stairwell. So when moving large heavy items where you may slide something at the wall you now have all sorts of risks where you can hit these new pipes.

And any gas pipes in a community area have to fire proofed, in the space and where they pass through the ceiling.floor.
Is this a rented flat, or who's paying.

No this is our own flat but Scotia is paying. I would not mind paying myself but they do not offer a better service for money so we will have to let them do what they suggest to remain connected.

the gas safety installation and use regulations GSIUR don't care about the look of your bathroom, there are a lot of old installations that can be listed as not to current standards but once changed in any small way become at risk this then means they then need to come completely up to current standards regardless of look, phone gas safe on 01256 650005 or 0800 4085577 and they can advise you, good luck

Can't do that in a communal area.

What are they using steel or copper.

I would have a word with the council and gassafe register.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back