New gas supply query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The top floor flat in a converted block of 7 is all electric.

All the other flats have gas and the boxes sit on the outside of the building.

How does the gas feed from the street come into the building for these 6 boxes ? Do they all have their own feed to the street or does a main pipe come in and then it splits off to feed the 6 boxes ?

If it is the latter then would the network just dig down and tee into it again for the top flat ?

Or would they have to lay a whole new gas feed from the street ?

The price is about £627 plus vat for a standard connection.

Sponsored Links
I haven’t dealt with this stuff before and @gas112 is likely to be the best experienced in answering this. There could be a provision in place for the extra flat(s) that want a gas supply already so it’s easier for them, but you’ll have your own individual feed.

I don’t have a pic of all the gas boxes on the wall but this is the property

The boxes all sit under the windows where lots of pipe work sits.

You can see some gas feeds going up the wall

Attachments

• FCED5919-4288-4930-AAB6-A7E46351EA17.jpeg
    FCED5919-4288-4930-AAB6-A7E46351EA17.jpeg
    381.6 KB · Views: 40
  • D9540994-80EF-4B08-9BB0-653197B10243.jpeg
    D9540994-80EF-4B08-9BB0-653197B10243.jpeg
    373.6 KB · Views: 41
Sponsored Links
From my experience, I'd say chances are there are separate services for each Meter Box, domestic gas service pipes aren't a massive diameter, and I'd suspect trying to put too many properties on one service may cause issues with the the supply.

In your situation I think it unlikely they'd try to Tee into an existing service, as that would then result in the supply to that premise being compromised, and the need for someone to then visit the property, and isolate initially, before returning later to re-establish the supply, purge and test.

Laying a new dedicated service would be the preferred method I'd think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back