New House - Glow Worm 65-80 relighting piliot light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We just bought and moved into a new to us house. Our first morning (today) the boiler was working and the central heating and hot water came on fine, however mid morning (and half way through my shower) the boiler stopped.

The boiler is a Glow Worm 65-80 that was installed over 30 years ago and it looks to me as if the pilot light has gone out.

The boiler is in the basement next to the gas meter and before this morning I could see the gas meter ticking to the sound of feeding the pilot light. Now, the gas meter is not moving which is why I assume it's the pilot light.

I know nothing of plumbing and frankly I'm just hoping someone can help me relight the pilot light!

Please help!

Dan

Sponsored Links
The vendors should have given you instructions if they are not written there.

But knowing its an old and inefficient boiler one hopes you budgeted for replacing it now or very soon.

Tony

Sponsored Links
If you remove the front cover of the boiler, the instructions will probably be stuck to the inside of it. If, not, check heating and HW are off at the programmer and turn the knob on front of the boiler to "off". Kneel down in front of the boiler and you will see the gas valve at the front, turn this to "off". If you look inside the boiler you should see the burners and a brass thermocouple sticking up on the left hand side. Light a match and turn the knob on the gas valve to "pilot" and hold it down. Then put the match near the thermocouple and the pilot should light. You need to hold the knob down for about 30 before turning it to "on". If the pilot goes out when you turn it to "on", try again as the thermocouple has to be warm before the valve can be set to "on". If it works, replace the cover, turn the knob on the front to your set temp and turn heating/HW back on.

These thermocouples can fail but are universal and cheap (£10?) so it shouldn't cost much to get a gas safe man to fit a new one.

I had the same problem when I moved into my house and it went out a few times in the first month but has been on ever since. Still planning on replacing the boiler though...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back