New Kitchen Plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi as the subject denotes I have embarked on a fitting a new kitchen, we have been talking about it for a year and have a kitchen plan but thought unless we rip the old one out we are never going to get around to doing it!!

Anyway we spent today packing up the kitchen and the target was to remove all of the wall and base cabinets less the kitchen sink.

We completed our goal and are now trying to work out where all the pipe work is routed in order to plan the plumbing.

Its an old 1930s house with an old kitchen extension that is at a guess 40 or so years old upon which a bathroom was built 20 or 30 years ago.

Currently all the pipework appears to go either under the concrete /plaster floor. What I would like to do is re route it above ground and run it along the skirting board behind the floor cabinets, is this a sound idea?

The water comes into the front of the house under a solid floor and stays under a solid floor until it pops up in the kitchen probably, the water also runs up to a Combi Boiler in the upstairs airing cupboard where an old immersion heater used to be, this is fed from the original mains pipe but I have not yet worked out exactly where it runs.

I have heard that as this is an older house I might be able to get the water board to re route the water supply above ground for free?? As I said its 1930s would the original pipework be lead?

Ta in advance.

Sponsored Links
Almost certainly a lead supply pipe, which is your responsibility within your boundary - so waterboard will not do this for free. Quite likely that pipework after the stopcock will be copper.

Good idea to route pipework above floor behind/below cabinets.

Since I have no idea of the size nor layout of your house, it is difficult to give any further advice.

Watercompany will not change your lead pipe free and for nothing, unless there is an unacceptable level of lead in your water. Never heard of a case where it was actually too high.

It will have to stay underground, at least two foot deep. Only outside of course.

Managed to track down an old friend in the area who happens to be a self employed Plumber so we had a good look around and mulled over a few ideas.
Bringing the mains water above ground from the Mains Stop Cock which is on the path just outside my front gate is gonna be a major job digging up the path and front step digging another hole inside my front door to bring the water pipe up into the porch and then run it along the skirting into the house to the kitchen and up to the bathroom.
We may put that off until we get around to that part of the house.

So it looks like we will have to go with what we've got whixh is annoying as it means I will have to plumb in the kitchen using the underground pipes.

Aggghhh!!! Very Frustrated.

Sponsored Links
Watercompany will not change your lead pipe free and for nothing, unless there is an unacceptable level of lead in your water. Never heard of a case where it was actually too high.

Ihave... Once... Ex mother in law went down with lead poisoning. She lived......

Ihave... Once... Ex mother in law went down with lead poisoning. She lived......

Was it proven to be the waterpipe, or did somebody shoot her?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back