new kitchen ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
do kitchen appliances need to have a switched fuse outlet above the work top to isolate the socket they are plugged into or can a 20 amp double pole switch be used and rely on the fuse in the plug

Sponsored Links
do kitchen appliances need to have a switched fuse outlet above the work top to isolate the socket they are plugged into or can a 20 amp double pole switch be used and rely on the fuse in the plug

The 20A DP switch can isolate one single socket without the need for additional fusing.

Sponsored Links
The 20A DP switch can isolate one single socket without the need for additional fusing.

Regulation, please?

133.2.2 is the regulation I am looking at - by ensuring the socket is single means that the current draw is limited to 13A

A double socket could increase the current to above 20A thus rendering the 20A DP switch not fit for purpose

Then again I know the double socket current rating is another subject......

133.2.2 is the regulation I am looking at - by ensuring the socket is single means that the current draw is limited to 13A
It all depends on what you have connected to the socket or sockets, but your reasoning is sound enough and to be fair, it's what I often installed.

From your original post in this thread it looked like you were citing a cast-iron rule and given the sheer number of imaginary regulations I hear on a daily basis, I hoped this wasn't one of those. ;)

From your original post in this thread it looked like you were citing a cast-iron rule and given the sheer number of imaginary regulations I hear on a daily basis, I hoped this wasn't one of those. ;)

I know where you're coming from ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back