new oil sump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit a new oil sump on my peugeot partner 1.9 diesel van. The sump on the van is a mass of flaking rust with oil weeping from a hole on the side. When i went to pick up the new one the parts guy told me i need to apply a good quality gasket sealant,and he gave me black rtv silicone instant gasket.
He told me i need to apply the silicone to the face of the sump and only semi tighten bolts, and leave the silicone to cure for a time before i fully tighten them home. I asked him for how long do i need to leave it to cure and he didnt know. Although it does say on the canister to let it skin for 10 mins,is this long enough or are the manufacturers talking about something else. I would appreciate if somebody could tell me the right procedure thanks.

Sponsored Links
Stivino";p="984396 said:
I take it you got a new gasket? What is it m
ade from

They didnt give me a gasket. The silicone is all they recommend i use. One dealer i spoke to even said that they are fitted face to face dry without anything. would somebody please tell me the correct method?

dont have gaskets Stiv, most things a glued with mastic on pugs now!

Put a small bead all the way round, let it go off for around 20 mins, bolt the sump into position but leave the bolts finger tight. Go and make youself a cuppa, come back and pinch up and the torque to the "manufacturers recommended setting" (which is usually fairly tight, not over tight, but tight enough so it doesn't leak, just incase you dont know the torque figures!)
Tighten the bolts from the inside working out, same sort of principal as headgasket

Sponsored Links
dont have gaskets Stiv, most things a glued with mastic on pugs now!

Put a small bead all the way round, let it go off for around 20 mins, bolt the sump into position but leave the bolts finger tight. Go and make youself a cuppa, come back and pinch up and the torque to the "manufacturers recommended setting" (which is usually fairly tight, not over tight, but tight enough so it doesn't leak, just incase you dont know the torque figures!)
Tighten the bolts from the inside working out, same sort of principal as he ad
gasket
Thank you very much,great advice,theres light at the end of the tunnel at last.

Back