Sump gasket oil leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Car: Peugeot 206 1.4 LX Auto (Y2001) 41K

Seem to have an oil leak on my wife's car. Found a number of drips on the garage floor under the engine. Had a good look and found a lot of oil pooled under the AC compressor and around the sump and wiring harness, found a bit of oil on front left corner of head too.

Cleaned up around the areas and let the engine run for a bit. I could see oil seeping from the sump gasket, could find no evidence of leak from head. Engine hasn't lost much oil, maybe 2mm on the dipstick since last service (July), done approx 2000 miles since then.

Is this an easy job to do and how long should it take someone with a little experience?

Thanks

Peter

Sponsored Links
Oil leaks can be a pain to find but its important that you do, to save yourself unnecessary work. Its more likely to leak when its hot so that's the time to look, wipe off as much oil as you can to make it easier to see where its coming from.

Many cars leak oil but if its not excessive I wouldn't worry to much about it because the work involved could be time consuming. If there is nothing obstructing the sump it shouldn't be to difficult to remove it and fit a new gasket but make sure that is where it is actually coming from.

If its running down the engine the favorite cause is the rocker cover gasket, again not to difficult once you have everything out of the way. This can sometimes also can be caused by a leaky head gasket.

Peter

Might be worth putting a socket on the sump bolts to double check they are tight. Keep a close eye on the front shaft seal as it may be coming from the seal and running around the sump joint.

Thanks Mursal.

The bolt holding the wiring harness was loose, by half a dozen turns! There was also a bolt on the flywheel side that was half sticking out. Took it out just to check it wasn't threaded, threads were covered in sealant, cleaned it off and done it back up tight.

Will monitor for leaks and go from there.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't over-tighten the sump bolts. It's easy to distort the relatively thin metal of the sump, causing more leaks.

Back