replacing Sump Gasket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to change the sump gasket on a peugeot 206 (1.4, 2001). It looks easy enough but I'm woundering about the front exhaust pipe + cat. It hangs just under the sump but is not obstructing any of the bolts, I think I should be alright to leave this on, undo the bolts and then drop and slide the sump away.

However, if I need to drop the exhaust do I need to replace the gasket between the exhaust and manifold?

Many thanks

Peter

Sponsored Links
You won't need to replace it unless it falls to bits when you take it out. But, it's adviseable to have a new one to hand, just in case, it won't be dear.

You will need to drop the sump vertically for a few inches to clear the oil pick up pipe, do you have room?

If you need a gasket a very effective way of sealing sumps and other things for that matter, is to run a bead of silicon rubber (bathroom sealer) around the edge and let it set overnight, its as good as a rubber seal.

Peter

The exhaust is just over an inch below the shallow end of the sump. I thought I could drop the sump an inch then turn it 90 degrees clear of the exhaust and then drop it completly.

Whats the best way to clean the mating surfaces?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A blade will clean the surfaces and degrease with heating oil/petrol on a rag.
Stubborn stuff might need a bit of sandpaper, just be careful don't let the grit into the internal parts.

Not sure about the exhaust, but if it drops, it'll give you more room to set the sump up without moving the new gasket out of place.

As already ,mentioned silicone will hold the gasket in place if needed. Even a light smear on the gasket wont do any harm.

if you opt for using some silicone sealant to stick the gasket in place make sure its the translucent type.

I thought I could drop the sump an inch then turn it 90 degrees clear of the exhaust and then drop it completly.
You're asking for oil to go everywhere in that case. Emptying the sump certainly does not get it all out, you'll find that out when you spin it 90 degrees. I would drop the exhaust first and get it out the way.

Thanks for all the advice. Have got a gasket for the downpipe, will drop the exhaust for better access.

Thanks

Peter

Sponsored Links
Back