New oven with plug

Well, yes. We were in a holiday cottage when the oven element stopped working. The owner came with a handyman and replaced the oven's internal fuse.
How long did that 'repair' last, I wonder, given that the fuse presumably blew for a reason?

For what it's worth, I have to say that, as EFLI implied of himself, I have personally never come across, nor heard of, an oven with an internal fuse (other than, occasionally, a diddy one protecting feeds to 'electronics' in some new-fangled ovens).

Kind Regards, John
Edit: too slow, again!

Sponsored Links
I wonder why we have fused plugs.
They were of course introduced at the time of BS3036 fuses which required larger c.s.a. wiring for everything.

Now, they may be reqiured should the flex not be able to cope with the fault current - possibly overload but this should be covered by internal fusing.

Which of your appliances do you think actually need the fuse in the plug or FCU?
Kettle, toaster, fridge, washing machine, bedside clock, television set, PC power supply, extractor fan etc.?

Do you know what caused it?
No idea. I must admit I had assumed it was the element
How long did that 'repair' last, I wonder, given that the fuse presumably blew for a reason?
It lasted the rest of our stay!

The washing machine was also on the blink. It was one of those places that asked you to phone them on the house phone when you arrived, and then charged you for the call.

Now, they may be reqiured should the flex not be able to cope with the fault current - possibly overload ....
I haven't done any sums, but do you think that any flex likley to be used for a "significantly power-consuming" appliance (i.e. excluding 'electronic' things, chargers etc.) is likely to not be able to 'cope' with the fault current?

As I just wrote, I imagine that the main reason for plug fuses is in relation to overload, which one probably has to consider as a possibility in many appliances, certainly anything including a reasonably-sized motor (hence most 'white goods', vacuum cleaners etc.).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I haven't done any sums, but do you think that any flex likley to be used for a "significantly power-consuming" appliance (i.e. excluding 'electronic' things, chargers etc.) is likely to not be able to 'cope' with the fault current?
No.
I had in mind very small flex but I suppose those items will not be metal and have a CPC. Perhaps in the past.

As I just wrote, I imagine that the main reason for plug fuses is in relation to overload,
It probably is although, as I wrote above, the omission of overload is never considered in the instructions.

which one probably has to consider as a possibility in many appliances, certainly anything including a reasonably-sized motor (hence most 'white goods', vacuum cleaners etc.).
Perhaps, Probably?

If sold in Britain, though, they should have internal protection.

I have just thought:
When an appliance is sold in Britain (obviously the same item as in Europe), is the manufacturer allowed to consider the fuse in the plug, which protects the supplied flex. as part of the appliance?
This obviously does not apply to an appliance sold without a flex so maybe not relevant.

If sold in Britain, though, they should have internal protection.
Is that the right way round? In the UK, they will have 13A or lower protection in the plug, whereas elsewhere in Europe the protection will usually be 16A.
I have just thought: When an appliance is sold in Britain (obviously the same item as in Europe), is the manufacturer allowed to consider the fuse in the plug, which protects the supplied flex. as part of the appliance?
Are you asking whether the fuse in a UK plug could be considered as 'internal protection'? If so, I suppose that might be the case, although, given that fuses in plugs can easily be changed, it would probably have to be considered as 13A protection, regardless of what fuse had been installed by the manufacturer.

Kind Regards, John

Is that the right way round? In the UK, they will have 13A or lower protection in the plug, whereas elsewhere in Europe the protection will usually be 16A.
Yes, rwr. I meant if they are designed for Europe this will be with the 16A circuit in mind.
As we are discussing, in Britain the appliance may be connected to a larger circuit so should have internal protection, if needed.

Are you asking whether the fuse in a UK plug could be considered as 'internal protection'?
Yes.

If so, I suppose that might be the case, although, given that fuses in plugs can easily be changed, it would probably have to be considered as 13A protection, regardless of what fuse had been installed by the manufacturer.
True, but that would not be the manufacturer's responsibility.

Yes, rwr. I meant if they are designed for Europe this will be with the 16A circuit in mind. As we are discussing, in Britain the appliance may be connected to a larger circuit so should have internal protection, if needed.
Yes, but if it's supplied in the UK with a plug, there would be a greater level of protection than in Europe, even if the circuit into which the plug was plugged was >16A.
True, but that would not be the manufacturer's responsibility.
Maybe. However, if the manufacturer feel that they have a responsibility to ensure adequate protection, they (or others) may feel that (whatever fuse they supply it with) it would be 'unsafe' to assume that the fuse in the plug would always be lower than 13A. This obvioulsy doesn't apply to ovens, but it might with some smaller products.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, but if it's supplied in the UK with a plug, there would be a greater level of protection than in Europe, even if the circuit into which the plug was plugged was >16A.
If you just mean the difference between 13A(fuse) and 15A(fuse) and 16A(MCB) I don't think that's worth considering.

Of course, if the product does actually require a 16A supply, then it would not be able to have a British plug, but are there such items given that the manufacturer will want to sell in Britain without designing such similar separate products?

If you just mean the difference between 13A(fuse) and 16A(MCB) I don't think that's worth considering.
It's not but, if one ignores the difference of device type, 13 is less than 16, so certainly 'no worse'.
Of course, if the product does actually require a 16A supply, then it would not be able to have a British plug, but are there such items given that the manufacturer will want to sell in Britain without designing such similar separate products?
Don't we quite often hear about products (ovens or whatever), sold in the UK (without leads or plugs) which say that they need, or appear to need (from power specification) a ≥16A supply? If so, they are presumably the 'primarily European' products?

Kind Regards, John

Don't we quite often hear about products (ovens or whatever), sold in the UK (without leads or plugs) which say that they need, or appear to need (from power specification) a ≥16A supply? If so, they are presumably the 'primarily European' products?
Yes, but are any of the of Wattage to actually need 16A? or do they think we should be intelligent enough to 'translate' it.

Should/could there be 16A fuses?
It would certainly help with Europe-wide compatability, but it could be a can of worms, since current BS1363 plugs/sockets might not be 'up to' 16A, and we couldn't really have a situation in which there were two 'inter-pluggable' versions of plugs/sockets around (one which could 'take' 16A but the other only 13A). We would probably have to invent a total different (fused) plug and socket that was not interchangeable with the current BS 1363s, wouldn't we, and that is essentially 'unthinkable'!

Kind Regards, John

Yes, but are any of the of Wattage to actually need 16A? or do they think we should be intelligent enough to 'translate' it.
Some we've heard about certainly seem to have been have been. Presumably because they are not constrained by the 13A 'limit', there seem to be some European products around 3.5kW - which is OK on a 16A circuit, but not acceptable with a 13A fused plug.

Kind Regards, John

I wonder why we have fused plugs.
But as we know anyone can assemble an arbitrary circuit(s) using multi way adaptors and fan heaters or whatever and the other option is to make sure all multi way adaptor flexes have 4mm2 cable etc etc, a fused plug is more economical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back