New oven with plug

But as we know anyone can assemble an arbitrary circuit(s) using multi way adaptors and fan heaters or whatever and the other option is to make sure all multi way adaptor flexes have 4mm2 cable etc etc, a fused plug is more economical.
I frankly doubt they thought about such practices.

A simpler version of what you have said, not invoking multiway adaptors, is that if we did not have fused plugs, then every appliance/equipment capable of producing an overload would presumably have to have a flex of at least 4mm² if it might be plugged into a 32A circuit.

Even worse, although I may be wrong, I'm not convinced that the regs actually preclude the possibility of, say, a 45A sockets radial circuit (wired in 6mm²), or even more than 45A - and if that is theoretically possible, then goodness knows how big and impractical appliance flex would have to be to be guaranteed to be OK in any installation if there were no plug fuses!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Which of your appliances do you think actually need the fuse in the plug or FCU?
Kettle, toaster, fridge, washing machine, bedside clock, television set, PC power supply, extractor fan etc.?
Can any of them become an overload?

The first 4 don't have flexes small enough to be unprotected by a B32. Fan is a red herring. The rest might?

Can any of them become an overload?
As I said, I think one has to assume that anything with a sizeable motor could - so probably the fridge and WM. I'm not really convinced that it is "likely" with any of the others.
The first 4 don't have flexes small enough to be unprotected by a B32.
No? The flex for any of them is likely to be no more than 1.25mm² (1.5mm² at the very largest), possibly 1mm² in some cases. Would they get adequate (overload, not fault) protection from a B32? - I would have thought not.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Sorry - I meant fault-protected.
We've been assuming that any credidible cable would probably get adequate fault protection from a B32 - so it's really only overload (when overload is deemed to be "not 'not likely ") we need to consider.
Didn't think about motors.
As I said, I think they are the most likely culprits as far as true overload is concerned.

Kind Regards, John

Neither my kettle, toaster, bedside radio, TV or iron have motors.

The kitchen radio does, but it's for the CD player, so I don't think it counts.

Even worse, although I may be wrong, I'm not convinced that the regs actually preclude the possibility of, say, a 45A sockets radial circuit (wired in 6mm²), or even more than 45A
It would have to be done with a "multi-drop" topology - you may not loop a cable carrying 45A through sockets.

Neither my kettle, toaster, bedside radio, TV or iron have motors. The kitchen radio does, but it's for the CD player, so I don't think it counts.
Indeed - that's why I said that, of EFLI's list, I would say that only the fridge and WM would be "likely" (even if very low probability!) to create an overload.

Kind Regards, John

It would have to be done with a "multi-drop" topology - you may not loop a cable carrying 45A through sockets.
Yes, I though someone might say that - although there is always a debate about that. 'Looping' 45A through a string of BS1363 sockets is not much different from 'looping' 32A through a 20A switch (which plenty of people do, and only a few worry about) - actually a lower "over-ratio" ... 45/32=1.4, whereas 32/20=1.6.

In any event, as you say, a 'multi-drop' approach would work - there are plenty of JBs around that can cope with 45A.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back