New cooker ..plug or no plug?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Total novice, please help.Need to buy new cooker, single oven dual fuel. New ovens seem to come with a 13amp plug but I only have a point to hard wire.Can I cut the plug off and hard wire it in? Or could you recommend an oven? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Do you currently have an outlet plate behind the oven, and an isolator somewhere above the worktop in the kitchen?

MKK5045.JPG

Cooker outlet plate

If you have what RF has posted above then after a change of fuse you should be able to cut off the plug and wire it in, but you will void the warranty if you do this.

An easy solution is to fit a single socket to the space where the outlet plate is and then just plug it in.

Yes do have outlet plate and isolater switch. So if I was to replace the cooker outlet plate with a socket, do I need to change the fuse? This is how much of a novice... the big fat wiring to the outlet, is this ok for a standard plug?

Sponsored Links
If the cables will fit into the terminals of the socket there is no need to change the fuse because the fuse is there to protect the cable and only the cable. (Based on the assumption that the cable was correctly fused to begin with).

Is the cooker circuit RCD protected? If not then you should either change it to the RCD side or label the socket as "not suitable for supplying portable equipment outside" or something like that.

I'm also thinking that because you are adding a socket this work is notifiable but I may be wrong.

RF Lighting said:
Do you currently have an outlet plate behind the oven, and an isolator somewhere above the worktop in the kitchen?

MKK5045.JPG

Cooker outlet plate
What is cooker outlet plates job.Normaly is it not the case that cable is taken from CU to cooker isolater and then to cooker.

sometimes its done that way but a cable just sticking out of the wall is messy especailly if the cooker needs to be changed for one with different cable requirements. The outlet plate forms the junction between the fixed wiring and the exposed loop of cable that goes to the cooker.

I have just bought (not delivered yet) a single built in oven. On the spec it states that it can be just simply plugged into a socket via a 13 amp plug.

What are peoples views on this, will it not overload the ring main? (I do not have the power consumption figures).

I was all set to install a cooker outlet plate and cooker switch with 10 mm cable back to the CU (notifiable of course) but if I can just plug and play then I am a happy man and not notifiable.
Thanks

A 13A load is rather large but depending on the loading of the rest of the circuit you should be fine. The oven will cycle on and off to maintain it's temperature so it will not be drawing 13A continuously.

Assuming you have a gas hob there is no need to install a separate radial circuit just for the oven.

plugwash said:
sometimes its done that way but a cable just sticking out of the wall is messy especailly if the cooker needs to be changed for one with different cable requirements. The outlet plate forms the junction between the fixed wiring and the exposed loop of cable that goes to the cooker.
So it means cable from CU goes to cooker/oven isolator switch above work services then it goes to cooker/oven outlet plate and then it goes to cooker/oven itself.Is this outlet plate rated 45 amp as isolator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back