New radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking for some advice, just purchased and moved into a 2bed 12 year old apartment situated on the 1st floor (with car port taking up the ground floor).

After 3 months we found the water tank leaking so paid British Gas to fit a new Worcester green star 28i junior conbi mark 5.

We have noticed that no matter how high we set the thermostat the 2 bedrooms do not seem to get hot (although the radiators them selfs get very hot)

I am assuming that this is due to the radiators in the bedrooms not being up to spec (single convector, single panel) to heat the rooms (with the extra cold from the car port below)

I have ordered 2 new myson double convector radiators (around the same size as the current ones), will it be a straight swap (there are flexi hoses). My only concern at the moment is that the new rads feel much heavier then the original ones, should I be concerned about the weight on the walls? (I presume the brackets are screwed through the plasterboard into the solid brick outside walls?)

Sponsored Links
You'll probably need to replace the existing brackets with the ones supplied by Myson, in which case you'll be able to ensure that the new brackets are suitably fixed

I am looking to fit the new radiators soon (have been working weekends so not had the chance)

Happy to fit new brackets, not a problem.

One more question, the new radiators seem to have caps covering the input/output holes. When taking the old radiators off would I take the tail valves out of the old radiators and put them in the new radiators or should I order new ones?

Rad tails should come with the valves you order (check with the supplier), if you are having new valves.

If not, get new ones, since the old ones will already have seen an olive and might have a bit of wear on the threads etc.

Sponsored Links
was not planning on replacing the valves, would you recommend that I do?

please see old rad and new rad below, was hoping for a straight swap but will get new valves if needed

View media item 91603
View media item 91604
Can you recommend valves to go with the myson rads? Should I get Myson vavles?

Well,

If you are happy with the functionaility of the valves and have recently checked their operation to ensure that they work as intended, then by all means reuse them.

You can reuse everything, but remember, you are dismantling fittings that have been in one set position for a long time. Remember to clean the threads out, renew any sealant etc. :)

the valves and heating system work fine, it just seems like its the radiators in the bedrooms (mainly the small bedroom) are not up to spec of heating the rooms (i'm guessing due to the open car port beneath).

Im hoping that I can replace just the radiators themselves without touching the valves if possible.

Turn lockshield off and trv off, drain rad. take rad off. Remove tails from old and clean up. Add ptfe tape back on old tails and insert in new rad. Refit new rad and top up system?

does this sound correct?

Sounds right.

You will hope for the play you need in the pipework to be able to open the gap up to do the required work, but you should be fine.

Hope your valves aren't passing :LOL:

I think the pipe work should be ok as its the flexi hose stuff and seem to remember the new rad being a tiny bit shorter in length if anything.

What do you mean by the valves passing? Leaking?

Thats trade talk (in my field) for a valve that doesn't close completely.

'Letting by' is another way of saying it is not closing fully.
I'm sure you valves will be fine. just check a container under them when you do the work to catch any loose drippings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back