New radio for old

see on the red connector are some connetions, that hopefully will be in the new 8 pin sockets.
From what I see (if the image I posted was representative), the red (20 pin connector) has connections for CD and line out.
Why do you need anything at all from that connector, for your new cheap FM Radio?

Sponsored Links
You appear to have two standard Iso plugs, (black and white) thhw should plug straight into your new stereo and it should work, the old change that may need to be made is to the red and yellow wires that control the permenant and switched lives, they change between manufacturers.

Don't cut the aeriel cable, the correct adaptors are pennies and just push on.

From what I see, the red (20 pin connector) has connections for CD and line out.
Why do you need anything at all from that connector, for your new cheap FM Radio?
Hi R,
I probably don't but I noticed it.
I'll also check there's a fuse!
The old Cd was like a mini toaster. Put a Cd in and it playes, while being toasted until the silver burned off, then when the eject button was pressed, it played games, and pushed out the cd, then snatched it back. It used to make me laugh, like playing with a dog. It will be sadly missed :0
C

Is the radio in the above picture the old one or the new one?

Were all of those connectors attached to the old radio?

If it's the new radio:

Can you post a picture of the old radio with the connector blocks attached and one of the old radio with the same connector blocks disconnected?

If it's the old radio, please post a picture of the new one?

Sponsored Links
Is the radio in the above picture the old one or the new one?

Were all of those connectors attached to the old radio?

If it's the new radio:

Can you post a picture of the old radio with the connector blocks attached and one of the old radio with the same connector blocks disconnected?

If it's the old radio, please post a picture of the new one?
Hi S,
The radio in #1 is the new radio with 2x sockets, plus antenna, plus phono sockets.

Here's the old radio/cd:

C
Old front.jpg
Old sockets.jpg

Hi,
Now I've looked at the new radio connections andcompared them with the diagram #14, and they are straight forward Red+ Blk- Blu for a power antenna (not got) and yell for memory??

There are 4x speaker outs, I need only 2x and they are paired wires.

I need an antenna adaptor.
Does the memory wire need permanent power?
C

Yep, a permanently live +12v - it's to maintain the channel frequency memories, when you switch the ignition off.
Hi H,
Ok, all understood, thanks.

P.S, my attention has just been diverted, as my gas boiler has just packed in!
New pump capacitor fitted, so working again :)
C

Last edited:
Most modern vehicles have loads of extra connections to the "factory" stereo. As has been said, some will be for steering wheel controls, but there will be other things, like dimming of the display when the headlights lights are on, and maybe (not sure in 2004), auto-increasing the volume as the car's speed increases, hands-free speaker / microphone, etc.

Most modern vehicles have loads of extra connections to the "factory" stereo. As has been said, some will be for steering wheel controls, but there will be other things, like dimming of the display when the headlights lights are on, and maybe (not sure in 2004), auto-increasing the volume as the car's speed increases, hands-free speaker / microphone, etc.
Hi A,
Ah yes, the steering column controls! The new radio doesn't have them, and I'll miss them.
Change channels, volume, type of search etc.

When I ordered the new one, I just wanted the cheapest as a tempory solution, and thought I'd ordered a DAB type, but an FM only type arrived. Kind of my mistake! Look more carefully when ordering.

The multi pin socket has UART pins. I program PIC (microcontollers) and the UART is a digital serial data line.

Thanks, C.

Hi,
When I oredered this radio, I actually wanted a DAB type, and the advert page di look as if it was DAB, but an FM type arrived. (Aliexpress)
I just accepted it, and came here for advice.
It's been too cold to do any soldering ouside, so it's as it arived.
I commented to Aliexpress, that the advert was misleading, and they sent a 'paid for' return label. I'm surprised.
I'll order a DAB type, and I'm sure the information given here, will be similar.
Cheers, C

When I oredered this radio, I actually wanted a DAB type, and the advert page di look as if it was DAB, but an FM type arrived. (Aliexpress)

DAB works on a higher frequency than FM, needs a slightly different antenna, and coverage is not as good as FM - so you might be better with what you have, depending on where you live.

DAB works on a higher frequency than FM, needs a slightly different antenna, and coverage is not as good as FM - so you might be better with what you have, depending on where you live.
Hi H,
I've noticed that with the TV and other DAB radios. I think they can be switched to FM, and have inputs, so music can be played, so I'll take my chance.
Cheers, C.

Watching this with interest. I've just bought a new radio for my old car, because the one in it packed up. I went for a fairly "80s-looking" retro Blaupunkt, but notice it also has DAB as well as FM radio. I'll just run it with the FM for now, but at some point, I guess I'll have to find a suitable DAB antenna that doesn't spoil the period look of the car too much.

Sponsored Links
Back