new shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
gd evening guys ;)

new to this game so bare with me :LOL:

ok here goes

just bought a new triton jade 2 - 8.5 kw shower ( cheap )
i have a mk sentry cu and didnt have a clue what i needed so asked a friend of a friend to giz a clue , and this is what he recomended :confused:

10 mt of 10 mm cable ( incase of future upgrades )
45 amp pull switch
mk ln 5940s mcb ( 40 amp )
mk ln 5740s rcd ( 40 amp 30 ma )

does this sound about right or not :?:

the lad has started working away again but said if i could wait 4 wks he would fit it for me - for a drink :D

many thanks for your advice in advance ;)

Sponsored Links
I presume he'll be installing this on the RCD side of your CU with a 40A MCB?
The cable and pull switch are OK.
Of course this work is notifiable and he should also be checking that your main boding is in order.

Sponsored Links
I presume he'll be installing this on the RCD side of your CU with a 40A MCB?
The cable and pull switch are OK.
Of course this work is notifiable and he should also be checking that your main boding is in order.

wont know until i see him again :confused:
but i do know there is allready rcd`s there aswell for up and down sockets next to where i think its gona go :?:
as for the bonding ive just had a new digital meter fitted so i guess the bonding should have been checked then :?:
but i will ask him to make sure :)

does the 40 amp mcb and 40 amp - 30 ma rcd sound right as ive got to buy them myself :?:

;) thanks for the quick advice ;)

And supp bonding ;)

Possibly not if working to BS7671:2008 if the specified conditions are met ;)

Yea, but he said RCD for the shower, and did not mention the lighting, possible towel rail etc....... ;)

And I very much doubt these are already RCD protected, and doubt further that he will be providing them with RCD Protection.

i have just noticed the radiator and sink look as though the earth cables are newish carnt see the bath ones until i pull panel off ,
will these have to be connected to the shower earth aswell when he fits it :?:
theres no rcd on the lights :?:
will he have to connect earth to light aswell :confused:
all this for a shower :confused: :LOL:

thanks again guys ;)

does the 40 amp mcb and 40 amp - 30 ma rcd sound right as ive got to buy them myself

It would be far easier to use an RCBO rather than a seperate MCB and RCD.

update

ok finally got in touch with the lad whos fitting shower and he told me just to get a 30mA RCBO instead of seperate RCD & MCB

( he said he only told me to get seperate MCB & RCD at first because of the extra height the RCBO needs and the way my cables were routed they might be in the way where the RCBO is going but if they are he is going to move them so RCBO will fit :) )

so off the missus went to B & Q as her friend works there and gets a bit discount :LOL:

and this is what they sold her :

MK SENTRY 50A 30MA RCBO £ 31 with discount

( even though i told her to get 40A 30 MA RCBO )

THEY SAID THIS WOULD BE OK

will this be ok for what i need :?:

I'd be worried that he doesn't understand what he is doing if he told you to get a 30A protective device for a 8500w load!

50A could be permissable depending on the design of the circuit, the B&Q guy has obviously designed the circuit for you as he knows it'll definatly be ok, is he signing for design on the EIC? :LOL:

You after discount price is about the going rate for them btw ;)

he told me to get 30MA RCBO ( i couldnt remember what amp he said )

but B & Q sold her 50 AMP 30 MA RCBO and said that would be ok for 8.5 kw shower as they didnt stock any lower ie 40amp or 45amp

will that be ok

thanks again ;)

Do the shower MIs specify a breaker size?
What rating of pullcord have you got?
What installation method is the cable going to be installed as, and are there any relevant de-rating factors to consider? ambient temp? grouping? thermal insulation?
What is the length of the circuit?

Do the shower MIs specify a breaker size?
What rating of pullcord have you got?
What installation method is the cable going to be installed as, and are there any relevant de-rating factors to consider? ambient temp? grouping? thermal insulation?
What is the length of the circuit?

ive now got the following :

triton jade 2 - 8.5kw shower

10 mt of 10 mm cable ( incase of future upgrades )

45 amp pull switch

mk 6939s 50amp - 30ma rcbo ( which B & Q said would be ok as they dont stock 40amp or 45amp they said it goes up to 11.5 kw )

( the shower instructions say min 40 amp - 30 ma )

i think the cables will be going up a stud wall then on top of insulation then back down to cu

cheers ;)

so will this be ok for my set up :?:

mk 6939s 50amp - 30ma rcbo ( which B & Q said would be ok as they dont stock 40amp or 45amp they said it goes up to 11.5 kw )

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back