New Toilet installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed an old toilet from my downstairs bathroom and on removing the bowl, the 'thing' that I think is called a flange which looks like its china or porceline, has cracked.

Should I and how do i remove the flange. I will be putting in a wall hung toilet as a replacement so I'll have a flexible waste pipe from the bowl that will need to somehow connect to the lead pipe which is beneath this flange.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry I've attached a piccy this time, it looks like the thing I'm calling a flange maybe the top of the actualy waste pipe.

So if its damaged as it is, have I a problem if I need to connect my wall hung waste pipe to this ?

waste-1.JPG
Free file hosting at filenanny.com!

A wall hung loo? Is that going to be mounted on a frame forward of this waste pipe?

I would have thought a flexi connector of suitable diameter would be fine. The pipe istself is not cracked? Only the collar?

Sponsored Links
OK, so its called a collar. So the flexi pipe just pushes down the hole ?

This is my first time doing this so I'm learning, if I find something too hard to do I'll call in the experts....

So when I purchase my loo, which will be a wall hung or back to wall, whatever waste connector is on the back of the loo, just connects straight down the hole. Do I need to seal the hole around the flexi pipe or not ?

I'll measure the diametre of the hole to see what flexi pipe size I need.

G

The fins of the connectors should seal nicely. Remember you'll need to set the new loo just in front of the hole in the ground.

Remember, terminology can change from region to region and generation to generation.

We recently installed a Grohe Rapid SL 82cm tall frame with an Ideal Alto wall mounted loo - worked very well and we had to connect to a lead soil stack with a flexi - by comparison you should have no problem.

Thanks Dan, when you say set do you mean concrete like they did in the old days ?

Or is bolting the loo to my concrete floor good enough.

The wife has changed her mind in the last 24 hours....its now definately a back to wall rather than wall hung....which saves me some work.

I have been reading a catalogue of back-to-wall units and most say they are for horisontal soil pipes. Mine is obviously not that, as its vertical in the ground. I cant see why though, surely the flexi pipe coming out of the loo can go down, left or right ?
Maybe I'm reading it wrong and should phone up the supplier.

G

By set I mean positioned (see terminology). You'll need a loo with ha bottom facing outlet (ooh eeerr). I don't think (or have not seen) a BTW loo that has this.

This sounds like another case of the missus being given too many options. Say to her - "You can have it your way or my way. If the former then there's the hole, here's me tools. I'm off to the pub - see you tomorrow. Otherwise... sling yer 'ook."

If you want a BTW loo then you'll have to make a false wall so that the connector can go down - they do flexible wastes here .

Oh I see what the catalogue means now, about only working with horisontal wastes.

I'm happy to build a small stud partition as the wc is going into a small alcove so not much work is required to do this.

Thanks for your help Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back