New Water Supply Options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just purchased a house which essentially has one half in good repair and the other half that needs demolishing. Essentially two separate houses which at some point became one! The water supplies into a stop cock located in the derelict part of the building. I wish to retain the good half (and get planning to have it as a separate dwelling) and demolish the other half and rebuld it.

It currently has a single supply for both parts of the building. I have spoken with the supply company and they say it could cost about £1,000 to put in a new supply into the "good part" of the building wioth a separate stock cock.

As I will be renting both houses out separatey at a later stage, is this my only option - i.e. to have a separate supply and pay £1,000?

Sponsored Links
No if you are renting it out and continue to own the both properties then save yourself a grant and just use the one supply.

Been to plenty of terraced houses in the past where the stop valve for the house is in next doors!

Make sure you have your plumber keep the piping easily accessible so it can be separated in the future.

Ok - do you know whether the water company would therefore want to charge two fees for one supply. i.e. should we tell them (once the houses are separate) that they should provide separate bills for water usage from then on?

Sponsored Links
You should fit new 25 mm pipes for each property back to the point where the single supply comes onto your land.

That will enable you to seperate them in the future if you want to and also minimise flow variations where the other house is using water.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back