No CH on a Boxer

Hi all,
Well after 3 engineer attempts at fixing my CH problem, and also having no hot water for a week because one of the engineers cracked a pipe!
a new diverter valve, a new PCB because one of the engineers spilt water on it, finally got a guy in today who told me its the pump. he disappeared for an hour, came back and fitted a new one and fixed the bust pipe. I now have both HW and CH!
He took the old pump to bits and showed me the impeller turning freely on the spindle. Says thats why the previous guys probably thought the pump was working. All guys from same firm so really only paid for the pump and fitting. By the way, the previous 3 guys were young, and the one that fixed it was around 50 yrs old. Goes to show what experience can do! Cant thank the guy enough!

thanks for all your help and ideas too, cos I know the PUMP was mentioned ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi
I have this same crappy boiler and have had nothing but problems.
PCB blew a few months back, but at the minute I'm having the same problem as the original poster.

CH water will not circulate and boiler cuts out.
If I stop/start the pump a few times I can get it working, and once its up to temp it seems ok, till someone turns a hot tap on and then we're back to square one.
Do I need a full pump of just a pump head?

Also the left hand side burner occasionally doesn't ignite and this trips the boiler, what could be?

cheers

Hi all,

He took the old pump to bits and showed me the impeller turning freely on the spindle. Says thats why the previous guys probably thought the pump was working. !

thanks for all your help and ideas too, cos I know the PUMP was mentioned ;)

The "finger test" ( see FAQ ) would have identified that fault.

Lazy engineers who only check the shaft is spinning from the front would have missed that.

Yet another example of why doing the job properly is the only way forward.

Although if you have a mechanical stethoscope and listed to a lot of pumps then that can often be identified without removing it.

Tony

Sponsored Links
M623, if you want help you should post your own thread giving full details of the problem and the history.

Tony

I didn't start a new topic as I have the same problem as the original poster has/had and was mearly asking a related question.

(did you not read the full thread??) :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back