Ideal Boxer C24 Cutting Out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
apologies for another boiler post but I've looked at several years worth of posts about the subject and haven;t quite found my situation described...

My Ideal Boxer C24 keeps cutting out.
It works for a couple of minutes (with the pump going) before stopping.
Burner flames are full on for a few seconds before reducing (half-size) until boiler cuts out after a few minutes.
Radiators get lukewarm (hence the house is freezing!)
Hot water is fine and works continuously.
If I turn thermostat off and then back on it restarts fine - before cutting out again.

Turning the pump speed up helped the boiler run marginally longer.
The combined pressure/temperature gauge: pressure fine, temp gauge not working.

Any ideas/thoughts greatly appreciated....

Mark

Sponsored Links
My Ideal Boxer C24 keeps cutting out.
It works for a couple of minutes (with the pump going) before stopping.
Burner flames are full on for a few seconds before reducing (half-size) until boiler cuts out after a few minutes.
Radiators get lukewarm (hence the house is freezing!)
Hot water is fine and works continuously.
If I turn thermostat off and then back on it restarts fine - before cutting out again.

Turning the pump speed up helped the boiler run marginally longer.
The combined pressure/temperature gauge: pressure fine, temp gauge not working.

A call to Ideal got me bounced back by THAT woman...but not before she suggested Thermistor or Diverter Valve so they're my next steps....
will keep you posted....

you just said that???

I have never heard of this boiler so I cannot help and if you dont get a reply no one else has an opinion so I would advise that you contact ideal and get one of their agent type peeps to have a look.

The only Ideal C24 I know of is the Mini combi.

Check the flame detection electrodes. They may need replacing.

Sponsored Links
DHW is fine, if flame detection was out then this wouldn't be so?

Cheers anyway guys....

Mark

I have locked horns with this awful boiler. It was also marketed by Grahams as Europa brand briefly.

I suspect that the crux of the problem my be in the unusual use of a diverter valve.

The boiler has a biflow or dual flow primary heat exchanger.

Biflow
Normally what manufacturers do in such a case is run a seperate pipe through seperate sets of tubes inside the same heat exchanger. A flow switch informs the boiler to fire for hot water. the boiler fires for heating on ch demand.

Secondary
In a boiler with a secondary domestic hot water heat exchanger (dhwhe) there is only one set of tubes in the main heat exchanger water from here is called primary water and it flows either round the radiators or round the primary of the dwhe. The tap water is warmed as it passes through the secondary.

Only in case 2 is a diverter valve required. On detecting demand for hot water it diverts primary flow away from radiators and to the dwhe.

The purpose of involving one in the boxer defeats me. I have scrapped a boxer and wish now that I had studied this appendix to see exactly what it does,

What I do know is that the problem with these boilers is central heating flow related, as though there is a blockage of some sort. The DV appendix has to be implicated somewhere along the line.

My long term advise is that this is not a good boiler to own. The Heatline Viso 24 is a far superior design if you find yourself emergncy cheap boiler shopping.

It baffles me to imagine what bosses of companies like Ideal are thinking when they decide to import and support an abismal design such as this. Have they no advisers of any technical worth whatsoever? Or are they just not taking any notice of them?

Eventually changed the diverter valve (which was completely stuck) and heating now works fine...just in time for the cold snap! ;)

Thanks Paul (& anyone else who considered my problem) and will consider your suggestion for a long term replacement!

Cheers,
Mark
M/cr

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back