No hot water - central heating works! HE12 ICOS Ideal.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good day!

We moved in a brand new house last July and we discovered that yesterday we could not have hot water, which was puzzling for us. We checked the radiators and its CH works well.

We are both Deaf and cannot hear anything so we would be most grateful if you could advise us on anything visual to do or to maintain.

The boiler was installed on Aug 2009 and the house we moved in, was an ex show house.

How often it should be serviced?

We noticed that the status on the display says '0' and there is no light for burner. We switched off CH and put HW on continonus. But it doesn't work :( as there is still no hot water!

Grateful for your advice

Colette

Sponsored Links
I will resist the urge to type in CAPITALS ( internet shouting ).

Without a knowledge of your system I cannot give you a definitive reply.

Its possible that you have two motor valves and the HW one has failed. See the FAQ for how to identify them and how to set to manually open them.

If thats the problem manually opening the HW will heat the water when heating is also on.

Do you have an electric immersion heater you can use?

Tony

Did you miss the fact that it is an Icos, Tony? Chances that the fault is outside the boiler, are about as likely as me working free of charge on a Sunday.

Thanks

Where is the FAQ on this site please?

If the problems lies outside the boiler, it means a call out?

Colette

Sponsored Links

Did you miss the fact that it is an Icos, Tony? Chances that the fault is outside the boiler, are about as likely as me working free of charge on a Sunday.

She said the heating works fine,so cant be the boiler? must be 3 port or zone valve.

Ben, both Garfield and I think that the Icos HE 12 is not a combi and thus will have external motor valves etc.

Are you working free today?

Tony

Does anyone know where the FAQ have gone to?

Not so far today Tony, but quite willing to service a nice old boiler later on. :LOL:

I left a boiler just working on Friday and told the owner not to touch it.

So he turned off a couple of rads and it turned itself off.

Rather than go out yet again I told him that I will charge £20 to go and reset it.

I am waiting for spare parts to fix it properly.

Tony

We have the same problem with our Ideal Icos HE12 - central heating ok, but no hot water. Is it a common problem with this model?

We called out a heating engineer to service it, and he told us "it is the type of boiler that needs the immersion heater to be switched on at all times". Now I'm no expert, but that sounds like complete garbage.

A couple of questions for the genuine experts:

1) Is it definitely a valve problem, or are there other potential causes?
2) Is it a job for a plumber, or is there a self-help fix?
3) If a professional is needed, what is the likely cost of parts & labour?

All help gratefully received.

I would expect its not a boiler problem but with the external controls.

I agree that what he told you is complete garbage. Then I would ask you exactly who he was and what he was there for?

Without having visited or knowing your system, I cannot guess at exactly what may have failed.

But depending on the location and the cause of the fault all that I can say is that most that I go to repair come to between £84 and £168.

Tony

After advice on this site and others, I have identified the issue as a faulty port valve (there are 2).

When both valves are switched to manual and the heating is turned on, I get hot water too. However, as there are two, I'm not sure which one is causing the problem.

When the heating is off, the switches on both valves offer some resistance and spring back into position. However, when the boiler is switched on, one of them becomes slack.

Which one is functioning correctly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back