No Hot Water from Mixer Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I recently moved into a new house and have been having problems with the shower since we got here. It appears to be a relatively new system (within the last few years) but there is very little (if any) hot water flow evident. The washbasin tap in the same room is fine, the water from that gets incredibly hot.

I did attempt to fix it myself as I'd adjusted a mixer handle in the past by simply adjusting the plastic 'stop points', but this one is confusing me.

I'll do my best to explain it, hopefully I can paint an adequate picture, excuse my non-technical descriptions!

There are two handles- the top controls flow, the bottom temperature. Both control the ceiling mounted shower head and the bathtub faucet (which also doesn't produce hot water).

I've removed the lower handle which exposed a gold coloured cylinder. There's a larger diameter toothed cylinder closest to the wall which has a slip-washer on it, then a plastic disc (presumably for adjusting the stop points) then a smaller diameter toothed cylinder.

I'd assumed that the smaller cylinder should rotate independently from the larger, but it doesn't. Turning either (which requires grips, as I managed to strip the teeth from the plastic sleeve inside the handle) requires a considerable force and both turn simultaneously regardless of which one is turned. Turning either way seems to yield no results, the water occasionally heats up very very slightly, but seemingly not at any particular point. Both directions produce the same results!?!

In any case, the water temperature currently ranges from quite cold, to freezing.

Is something broken, or am I just doing this the wrong way? I hope it's something that I can fix myself, but I thought I would ask here before I call a plumber.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A photo/make&model details would be helpful at this point.

What sort of hot-water system do you have?, airing cup'd with a cylinder?, Combination Boiler?, Unvented cylinder? etc

Any isolation/Service valves nearby (slightly open or closed)?

DH

Ok here's a photo.

The make is 'Bristam' but I don't know the model, I'm afraid.

As for the boiler, it's a combi, downstairs in the Kitchen.

No isolation valves nearby that I know of. Only ones I do know of are at boiler and under the sink. The sink ones, however (little red/blue ones) don't seem to do anything.

Photo%2027-07-2013%2017%2059%2042.jpg

Photo%2027-07-2013%2017%2059%2054.jpg
[/img]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back