noise when heating first on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not a major problem with my central heating but annoying none the less.

When the central heating is turned on, for the first 4-5 minutes two of my radiators upstairs make a tapping/banging noise. These radiators are in the two rooms at the back of my house (the boiler is at the front of the house).

I have looked through the forum to see if any previous solutions have been offered. I think they have but I don't understand all the terminology!

So if anybody could help me in really basic, idiot guide language I would help. Is it something I maybe able to fix? Would "bleeding the radiators" help (am not sure I know how to do this but I may be able to give it a go), or do I need to do something with the valves?

Thanks for any advice anybody can offer!

Sponsored Links
as i am not a plumber or heating engineer, i do not know if bleeding the radiators will solve your problem, but to see how to bleed them see here

also it depends on what type of boiler you have as to what else to do, if it is a combi (NO big cylinder in airing cupboard or anwhere else for that matter) when you bleed the radiators, it will cause the system to loose presure, you must re pressureise it, do a search on filling loop and it will tell you how to do this

Rachshaw said:
my radiators upstairs make a tapping/banging noise.
Could be the TRV (Thermostatic Radiator Valve) if you've got them which can back pressuring the flow,try turn down the other side radiator valve.

It may be the pipes expanding as they heat up, and creaking along the wood they are resting on. this is a floorboard up job though.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back