Noisy, 14yr old, pump incorrectly fitted?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. 1992 house. Myson SD63 pump at '3' setting. 4 bed house 16 radiators some double.
The pump has always been louder than our last house and is now really noisy especially when it first comes on. It sounds like it's on it's legs. I turned the setting down to level 2 which has helped.
I was thinking of replacing it myself since there are valves either side, ...might not be a big job, until I started reading up on pumps and comments from your members. The Grundfos website showed pictures on how it should be on an upright pipe, flow upwards and if it has to be horizontal the motor spindle should not be upright.
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/1477/pumphd5.jpg[/IMG][/url]
Everything mine isn't !
The wall the pipe is up against is only plaster board into a dressing room so I can knock a hole through and with a small box the otherside it won't be noticed behind all the shoe boxes.
The SD63 Myson pump looks like a standard size but was it ever big enough ? Is it worth getting the pump horizontal for noise reduction and less wear and tear ?
Would a Grunphos 15/60 be a better less noisy pump?
Am I missing anything obvious please, or should I just get professional help do you think ?

Sponsored Links
You have missed that its already the larger pump!

Since its been there for about 15 years its not that bad a lifetime.

Its as good as a Grunfoss.

The only requirement is that the motor shaft should be horizontal or a few degrees below with the vent being at the lowest point.

Try looking for an air bleed point somewhere!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back