Noisy, 14yr old, pump incorrectly fitted? (with picture)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
pumpzo8.jpg
[/img]

the picture I meant to send before, showing the pump up against a back plasterboard wall, wrong way up?
Hi. 1992 house. Myson SD63 pump at '3' setting. 4 bed house 16 radiators some double.
The pump has always been louder than our last house and is now really noisy especially when it first comes on. It sounds like it's on it's last legs. I turned the setting down to level 2 which has helped.
I was thinking of replacing it myself since there are valves either side, ...might not be a big job, until I started reading up on pumps and comments from your members. The Grundfos website showed pictures on how it should be on an upright pipe, flow upwards and if it has to be horizontal the motor spindle should not be upright.
Everything mine isn't !
The wall the pipe is up against is only plaster board into a dressing room so I can knock a hole through and with a small box the otherside it won't be noticed behind all the shoe boxes.
The SD63 Myson pump looks like a standard size but was it ever big enough ? Is it worth getting the pump horizontal for noise reduction and less wear and tear ?
Would a Grunphos 15/60 be a better less noisy pump?
Am I missing anything obvious please, or should I just get professional help do you think ?

Sponsored Links
Is it worth getting the pump horizontal for noise reduction and less wear and tear ?
The pump spindle, yes. Doesn't much matter where the connections are.

The wall will presumably be double skin plasterboard(!) so you'd only have to make a hole in one of them!

Would a Grunphos 15/60 be a better less noisy pump?
Try yours horizontally first. You shouldn't be able to hear it unless you're next to it.

Isolate the pump valves then get a set of washers. Loosen the unions and drop the pump down to the horizontal. Then unfortunalty to be totally correct you will need to remove the 4 hex screws holding the head on and rotate the head so the electrics are at the top.

To be honest probably better to get a grunny 15/50 or 60. Get the oriantation and the electrics position right before you install it.

Its a miracle that the Myson aint gone yet anyway even if installed right and if you touch it as above it will probably leak anyway :confused:

Thanks for the advice. I'd not thought of simply turning the housing. I think I'm still getting the professional in just in the offchance I get caught with old difficult leaky valves and then I'd be stuck.

I love this website, thanks to all. :D

Sponsored Links
I would try asking harrogategas (Diynot username) to do it he seems to know what the crack is and hes in Harrogate :idea:

£140 for the job :LOL: :LOL: That`s a days money here in Sussex.......bloody grim oop North :LOL: too many pubs to spend it all in

£140 not 2 bad as a 15-60 will be £60 so for £80 they may ned to do a part drain & replace valves. As long as thats a fixed cost .

I agree with Pannierstan; it's not the cost for me but confidence in the person doing the job.
There's a firm Harrogate Independent Gas Services which I'm guessing will be the man hopefully. :idea:
[email protected]

Grizza said:
I agree with Pannierstan; it's not the cost for me but confidence in the person doing the job.
There's a firm Harrogate Independent Gas Services which I'm guessing will be the man hopefully. :idea:
[email protected]

That will get you to a Mr Steve Uddleston.....great guy. He can certainly put you on to me if you ask or he can sort you out im sure.

Thanks, I will ask him.
unfortunately your profile doesn't have your email address

WTF?! Has this topic become no more than a classified advertising page?

Cheapest rates in Sussex :cool: no job too small:cool: Pensioners discount:cool: Corgi Shmorgi :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back