noisy boiler sounds like it will explode

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey all of you lovely helpfull people ,i have just changed the diverter valve diaphram on my wocester 240 combi, thanks to your very informative questions and answers on here ,i have gone around and bleed all my radiaters after about an hour of running ,but after about three hours of running the boiler start making some scary noises ,its like a heavy car engine running ,or like it will explode any time ,does any one have any sugestions as to what might be the problem ,.thanks very much in advance.

Sponsored Links
If the boiler is functioning correctly in Hw and CH you can probably rule out the diverter unless you have left a bit of fibre washer in the system and its stuck in the heat exchanger. Does it sound like a plane landing?
Could alternatively be a host of other things like a noisy or failing pump,worn fan or the gas valve needs setting up properly or you may just have not put the casing back on properly.
You are better off getting someone who is gas safe registered to check the setting pressures if it isn't igniting or burning properly.

thanks very much for your speedy response ,it does sound like a plane landing ,i changed the diverter diaphram as i was not getting hot water when ch was off, now the HW and CH works fine the diaphram was in very bad shape ,and thats all i have done, really appreciate and looking forward to your further response and thoughts

If it sounds like a plane landing it usually means the heat exchanger has debris in it or is partially blocked This may be a piece of fibre washer dislodged when you changed the dv. Probably needs taking off and cleaning but you need RGI to do this.
If you're lucky it may just be some air trapped in the system. Keep venting your rads to see if it clears.

Sponsored Links
thank you very much will follow your advice on the matter yuo have been of great help

thanks to you helpful bunch again i shut down the boiler for a couple hours then put it back on and its as smooth and quiet as new

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back