Noisy Grundfos pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there
We have a Potterton Boiler that has a Grunfos pump attached to it. In the last few days, the pump has been making an increasingly loud grinding noise when the boiler is on. Being a complete novice at these things, I just wondered if there is anything, shy of replacing the pump, that may be done to rectify the problem...I have tried to bleed the pump (using the screw at the front) when the system is off - water came out immediately and the problem was not resolved.
Also, if I have to replace the pump, how much is it likely to cost??
Thanks a million for any information.
Kane

Sponsored Links
I'd would say the noise is due to bearing failure and a replacement is the only real solution. B & Q warehouse have grunfos pumps around £45.
There are other makes as well. You will find two models available, the difference being the height they can pump up to. ie 5 metres or 6 metres, pricewise there's about £5 different.When you fit it, make sure the flow is in the correct direction.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You said it, Mandate. The one and only time I had a ***** registered engineer replace a pump (I was in bed with flu when it croaked) he fitted it upside down and blew the boiler.

Plumb Center have an even cheaper pump available, but I'm not sure if it's made of metal or balsa wood.

Incidentally, the pre-failure symptoms were the same as yours, Kane.

Paul

***** is mine, not the text police.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back