Non-RCD protected circuits

Sponsored Links
This is also a consideration when putting a cooker on non-rcd as many cooker control units have a socket on them and being located above a kitchen worktop would definately count as intended for general use.

Good point.

To say 'all' circuits must be RCD protected is generalising a bit too much.

Fitting RCBOs on alarm and freezer circuits rather than relying on an RCD which protects multiple circuits would be an improvement, as it will protect concealed wiring; and no other circuit could cause it to trip.

I agree. However, an alarm circuit need not be RCD protected, just normal mcb?

Sponsored Links
I agree. However, an alarm circuit need not be RCD protected, just normal mcb?
Incorrect.

But, if you'd read the article BAS linked to, you would know that.

As most respondents have tried to tell you, domestic sockets-outlets require RCDs and so do cables concealed less than 50mm from the surface of walls or partitions, regardless of what they serve.

The alarm does not need to be RCD protected. The circuit may need to be depending on installation method.

The alarm does not need to be RCD protected. The circuit may need to be depending on installation method.

That's better. The linked pdf did not state that all circuits need to be RCD protected.

So, you are saying that if the alarm cable is less that 50mm from the surface of a wall RCD need not apply?

That's better. The linked pdf did not state that all circuits need to be RCD protected.

So, you are say that if the alarm cable is less that 50mm from the surface of a wall RCD need not apply.

Uh, no, if it's less than 50mm from the surface an RCD is required. Unless it's in earthed steel conduit.

So, you are say that if the alarm cable is less that 50mm from the surface of a wall RCD need not apply.
You've got that 100% wrong.

I find it difficult to tell if you are trying to pull our legs, or if you are a DIYer, a builder, a trainee electrician, or what. That will affect the sort of replies you get.

You've got that 100% wrong.

I find it difficult to tell if you are trying to pull our legs, or if you are a DIYer, a builder, a trainee electrician, or what. That will affect the sort of replies you get.

I asked a simple question which no one has managed to answer. Some play games and link to books, others give half answers, others guess.

I try to interpret replies and echo the conclusion back.

It appears no one knows. I have not the answer yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back