Non-RCD protected circuits

Sponsored Links
It looks to me like you're trying to have a bit of fun by yanking our chains.

You question was:

I recall someone here in the past few days wrote that from 2008 all circuit must RCD protected. Under the current regs, is it possible to have an non-RCD protected circuit? Benefits arise from Alarms and freezers from non RCD protection.

The answer is that under certain circumstances, circuits need not be RCD protected.

If you want, or need, to understand the conditions, you are going to have to do more that ask the odd question.

Looking at the posts you have started over the last few weeks, you appear to be doing electrical work, either as a DIYer or as an unqualified or trainee electrician. If you would like to tell us what you're up to, it might help.

Yes, it's possible to have a non-RCD protected circuit, when said circuit meets certain requirements. Most circuits will not.

If that doesn't answer your question, I don't know what will.

That's better. The linked pdf did not state that all circuits need to be RCD protected.
Idiot.

Read it.

Fool! I read it and it never answered the question. It was about cables in walls.

Exactly.

That's the answer to your question. An answer given by several who have taken their time to respond. You choose to ignore valid information and insult those who try to educate you further.

If you are not the wind-up merchant you protest you are not, you must be an imbecile.

Sponsored Links
I think this has already been mentioned, but RCDs are usually required for;

13 amp sockets generally, there are exceptions.
All concealed wiring less than 50 mm from the surface, unless in earthed metal conduit, swa, pyro, etc.
All bathroom circuits.
Outbuildings.

It is therefore usual to fit RCDs for most or all circuits, often by replacing the consumer unit.

The dual RCD board is a common, cheaper way round this. High integrity boards offer unprotected ways, but RCBOs can be fitted to separate the circuit from the main RCDs.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Your question is the equivalant of this -

If I close my eyes for 2 seconds when driving, will i hit a 1998 blue ford fiesta zetec with beige interior, rubber matt and a vanilla magic tree which is being driven by a lady wearing red glasses?

There is no difinative answer to your question as you do not specify how exactly the supply circuit will be ran or how it will be constructed, although in another thread where you are trying to give poor advice you and a ficticious engineer seem to be adamant that an armoured cable must be protected by an RCD.

Read and repeat - Colin Jacobson and electrics do not mix, Colin Jacobson and common sense do not mix, Colin Jacobson and being able to grasp the fact that not every question has a difinitive answer do not mix.

So, you are say that if the alarm cable is less that 50mm from the surface of a wall RCD need not apply.
You've got that 100% wrong.

I find it difficult to tell if you are trying to pull our legs, or if you are a DIYer, a builder, a trainee electrician, or what. That will affect the sort of replies you get.

I asked a simple question which no one has managed to answer. Some play games and link to books, others give half answers, others guess.

I try to interpret replies and echo the conclusion back.

It appears no one knows. I have not the answer yet.

If you don't know, how do you know you haven't had the answer yet???

Or perhaps you do know or think you know but are interllectually unable to interpret the answers you are being given!

Or more likely, as your numerous inane questions of this forum have demonstrated, you're a wind up merchant.

No - just annoying.

But no matter what annoyance he has caused in previous threads I'm always perfectly prepared to discuss new and future topics rationally, and to confine the discussion to the topic at hand.

But that does require him to respond properly to questions and points raised, and so far he has refused to do that. My comment above was based on that behaviour. If he'd care to mend his ways then he'll be quite welcome.

The simple answer appears to be, after all these posts

RCD is not mandatory on a dedicated alarm circuit unless the cable is direct burial in walls less 50mm from the surface.

I did all that in one sentence. Easy wasn't it? Talk about going around the mulberry bush. :(

RCD is not mandatory on a dedicated alarm circuit unless the cable is direct burial in walls less 50mm from the surface.

I did all that in one sentence. Easy wasn't it? Talk about going around the mulberry bush. :(

Yes, exactly as you were told in the third reply down from your question:

I agree. However, an alarm circuit need not be RCD protected, just normal mcb?
Incorrect.

But, if you'd read the article BAS linked to, you would know that.

As most respondents have tried to tell you, domestic sockets-outlets require RCDs and so do cables concealed less than 50mm from the surface of walls or partitions, regardless of what they serve.

But instead of taking the time to read and digest what you have been told, you simply come back and complain that you haven't been spoon-fed the information you want. Now can you see why people might think you're trying to wind us up? :rolleyes:

Unless, a cable incorperating an earth metallic sheath complying with BS7671 requirments is used

unless the cable is contained within a metal conduit or trunking

unless the installation is supervised

unless unless unless

You see, if you have said this -

"I am fitting an alarm in a house for a job and there is no near by power so i need to chase a twin and earth cable in to feed an alarm fused spur, I am aware of the routing of cables in prescribed zones and at no point on the cables run will it be out of a 'safe zone' the cable will be 1.0mm, the run will be 12 meters and the cable will be protected by a 6A over current device, it will be ran within thermal insulation for part of the run and grouped with other cables , does this cable require RCD protection?"

then you could have had a straight answer, you may have had a comment on your cable or over current protective divice too!

But your original question does not actually ask;

"Is RCD mandatory on a dedicated alarm circuit?"

Does it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back