Non starting Potterton boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton PrimaB HFG conventional boiler which has suddenly decided it doesn't want to light. The flue fan appears to be working (I can hear it start and stop when switching either heating or hot water on/off). The pump also appears to work (the pipe below the pump is warm, presumably heated by pilot light, before heating turned on but rapidly gets cold after switching on). I spoke to a plumber over the phone and, after explaining the symptoms, he suggested that the flow diverter valve might be faulty. I purchased a new valve but am having second thoughts about fitting it (it cost £82) until I can be sure that this is the problem. I am no expert, but it seems to me that if the pump is pumping, thus water flowing and the fan is working, that perhaps the problem is not with the diverter valve.
Can anyone help me.

Sponsored Links
Check the air pressure switch. Unless this proves the fan spinning then the boiler won't try to ignite.

Also check the pipes from the fan to the aps, could also be the fan venturi partially blocked.

Thanks for the reply Dave. I am somewhat of a novice to boiler maintenance and do not know where the aps is or how to check it when I have located it.

Mark

Unfortunately the safest answer is to call a reputable corgi in then ;)

Several on here who post cover your area. Look them up in their profiles.

Sponsored Links
I have a Potterton PrimaB HFG conventional boiler

I cannot quite immagine what this model is but surely its not a combi with a diverter valve?

In any case the fault is a gas/combustion related problem. All the province of a CORGI engineer.

Tony

Ha Ha. Tried to pick some blokes' brains over the phone and ended up forking out for a part he may not need. Love it. Tightwad

Thanks Tony and Dave for your constructive comments and I shall now call in a corgi engineer. It is a conventional gravity fed boiler probably 15+ years old and not a combi.

As for the reply from solo, I called a heating engineer to try to arrange a visit and the 'bloke', who told me he could not work because he had injured his back, encouraged me to explain the sympoms and kindly offered me his advice. No wonder you're solo. D***head.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back