Non yellowing wood varnish info please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have just installed redwood doors and a red wood complete staircase, rails etc in my home. I want recommendations for a good satin varnish that will not yellow the wood with time. i have been told acrylic varishs are better but any tips would be great!

Sponsored Links
I've never come across this problem - mind you this is only through DIY. If you thin the varnish with white spirit the first coat will absorb into the wood and give a good base for a second coat.

I have stained doors and staircase. These were done 7 years ago and look as good as new. This was using standard polyurethane satin varnish.

I think you may suffer from this if you use a gloss finish but it would be interesting to hear from anybody else.

accrylic [waterbased]varnish doesnt yellow with age
where as oil based varnishes do yellow with time
untreated pine if kept clean still tones down to
"antique pine colour"

big all

IanDB said:
If you thin the varnish with white spirit

Note that waterbased varnishes should not be thinned with white spirit. I suppose you could thin these with water if required.

Sponsored Links
I'd go with a waterbased varnish, the first coat may be thinned with 10 per cent water especially in warm weather.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back