Notifiable work ??

1) Apologies for not having delivered on schedule - other activities have taken quite a bit longer to complete than planned. Console yourself that Mrs Sheds is far more p****d off about that than you are.

There's a Mrs Sheds? Does she ever dare express an opinion or maybe BAS is so under the thumb that this forum is where he vents his frustrations....

Sponsored Links
I do not understand why the good people on this forum continue to let Hassle Bland abuse people in this way.
Abuse?

I've had a testy exchange with PBC, because he seems to think that he can keep on telling me that I must not express a view on something which is different to a view I might have had several years ago, but 'abuse'? Can you show me where?

And whilst on the subject, did you intend "Hassle Bland" to be complimentary, or abusive?

The number of posts and aggression indicate to me that the person responsible is probably ill and house bound.
Since I am neither, all you have done there is to show that you have a febrile imagination, prone to desperately seeking to find some motivation on my part for things I say which will allow you to dismiss them. I wonder what you hoped to achieve by that, and why you prefer to do that rather than believe that I'm telling the truth?

He uses this forum as a lure and enjoys conflict.
Not at all.

What a strange world you must live in where anybody who asserts superiority over another is being abusive.

Sponsored Links
I've had a testy exchange with PBC, because he seems to think that he can keep on telling me that I must not express a view on something which is different to a view I might have had several years ago
I don't think anyone - myself included - would have a problem with you merely saying that you've changed your mind at some point and believe that jobs should be notified where applicable, although it might help if you could actually explain why you've changed your mind, which you seem unable or unwilling to do.

The problem is with the way in which you respond to the slightest hint that somebody does not intend to notify, or the slightest suggestion that all things considered it might be better to just get on with some trivial job and not bother with notification. It really does nothing to support whatever reasons you now believe exist for notification when you just start throwing around insults, calling people "immoral," and so on, especially given your past opposite view which has changed with no apparent explanation.

I don't think anyone - myself included - would have a problem with you merely saying that you've changed your mind at some point and believe that jobs should be notified where applicable, although it might help if you could actually explain why you've changed your mind, which you seem unable or unwilling to do.
Please tell me how many times I have to say that I am unable to do so, for the simple reason that I have no memory of any epiphany, and not that I am unwilling to do so, because I can rattle that number off here and now, and you can all stop suggesting that I might be lying.

The problem is with the way in which you respond to the slightest hint that somebody does not intend to notify
I have never, not once, criticised anybody for that. It was I who originally wrote what it says in the Wiki about it being none of our business whether people do or do not notify, and we are not policing that.

Whenever I question people about whether they are going to notify, it is simply because if they think they are then they need to know how it works, because we get so many who think they can do the work and then get an electrician to "sign it off". They also need to be aware of possible problems in the future if they don't have a completion certificate.

But that's it. When I ask "do you intend to/did you seek Building Regulations approval?" then what I mean is "do you intend to/did you seek Building Regulations approval?". I don't mean something which I did not write.

In passing I must observe that no matter how many times I clarify that there remains a core of people here who simply refuse to recognise the principle of reading the words which I write and not imagining that they are reading words I did not write which they can then use to ascribe an "attitude", or a "way" which they find they don't like. That steadfast refusal, which persists no matter how many times I challenge it, is a corollary of the desire that many people have to look at a regulation which says something and to start "interpreting" it to twist it to what they think the writers actually meant to say, or to what, for personal reasons, they want the writers to have said.

What I do object to is the act of advising people to break the law. I don't know about you, but I do not have a driving licence which historically is free from any speeding convictions. TBH I don't know how old my most recent one is, and whether it has dropped off the totting-up window, but for sure there have been times over the last 40-plus years when you could have found a "current" SP endorsement on my licence.

Does that mean that I am disqualified from saying to people "you should not speed"? I don't think so.

Does it mean that I should not say to people "you must not advise others to break the speed limit"? I don't think so.

It really does nothing to support whatever reasons you now believe exist for notification when you just start throwing around insults, calling people "immoral," and so on, especially given your past opposite view which has changed with no apparent explanation.
The "immorality" which exercises me is that of advising other people to commit a criminal act, not the "end offender" doing it.

And I cannot think of anything more to add to the issue of my change of opinion. Maybe you, when you look back at the sort of person you were decades ago, and what views you had on matters about which you then knew less than you know now, do not find that you have moved one inch. Or maybe if you have you can identify a significant event which prompted a discrete change.

In this matter I cannot, and the fact that you find that upsetting or unacceptable or whatever may be regrettable for you but it is completely unreasonable of you to persist in refusing to believe what I tell you when

a) it's a pretty common, and therefore believable, situation (whenever you hear somebody use the phrase "gradual realisation" is your reaction "no you didn't - something happened - why won't you say what it was?"?)

b) you have no evidence whatsoever that what I am saying is not the truth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back